River Cats Top I-Cubs in Extras
DES MOINES, IA - Iowa out-hit Sacramento 9-6, but the River Cats (49-65) managed a 4-2 win over the I-Cubs (53-59) in 11 innings, Monday at Principal Park. With the loss, Iowa fell to 1-8 in extra-inning contests this season.
Iowa trailed until the eighth as former I-Cub Tim Federowicz put the River Cats ahead with a two-RBI double off Williams Perez in the fourth. The I-Cubs cut the lead in half in the sixth with a Taylor Davis two-RBI double and the first baseman came through again in the eighth, punching in a run with a single to knot the game and eventually force extras .
Matt Carasiti (1-2) took the loss for Iowa after a shaky 11th inning, walking the first two batters he faced. After making it to third on a stolen base and a throwing error, the leadoff man scored the go-ahead run on a single from Jae-Gyun Hwang. A wild pitch plated another run to add insurance for Sacramento.
Justin Hancock and Justin Grimm were lights out in relief for Iowa, each spinning two shutout frames and fanning seven between them. Davis carried the offense, going 5-for-2 with two RBI.
Iowa and Sacramento meet tomorrow at 7:08 p.m. for the second game of the four-game set. Promotions include the last Dog Days of the season and Dollar Dogs. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com .
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2017
- Nashville defeats Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma defeats Nashville - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Outlast Sounds in Monday Marathon - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Top I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Express Wash Sky Sox in Eight-Inning Affair - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Short in Series Opener against Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Calhoun the Catalyst in 5-4 Express Victory over Isotopes - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.