River Cats' bats stifled in shutout defeat
Tacoma, Wash. - One day after putting up eight runs by the third inning, the Sacramento River Cats (28-39) were stifled offensively, falling to the Tacoma Rainiers (36-31) with just three hits.
The hit total was the lowest for Sacramento since its May 20 loss to Reno (also three). Tacoma pitchers did not walk a batter, which is the first time Sacramento was walkless since June 14. Catcher Chadwick Tromp, right fielder Bryce Johnson, and shortstop Mauricio Dubón managed the River Cats' three singles.
The River Cats' pitching staff did their best to keep their struggling offense just one swing away from a tie until right-hander Camilo Doval's rough ninth inning (three runs on two hits and two walks) put the game out of reach.
Right-hander Tyler Beede (0-4) was excellent, allowing just two hits, two walks, and one unearned run while striking out four in 3.2 innings.
Beede seemingly finished off the fourth, but center fielder Heliot Ramos misplayed the would-be inning-ending fly out, allowing Tacoma catcher Jose Godoy to reach second safely on an E8. Four pitches later, designated hitter Sam Travis made it 1-0 with a clutch double against left-hander Luis González.
Sacramento has yet to name a pitcher for Saturday. The River Cats will take on Tacoma right-hander Robert Dugger (0-3, 10.80). First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. Listen to Johnny Doskow call the game live online at rivercats.com or on the MiLB First Pitch app.
Left fielder Braden Bishop had his 16-game hitting streak snapped with an 0-for-4 day.
Tacoma left fielder Dillon Thomas briefly doubled the lead to 2-0 in the seventh when he lined a ball past a diving Ramos and legged out an in-the-park home run. Yet, while Tacoma was celebrating, the River Cats appealed to third base, where Thomas was ruled to have missed the bag, and was called out.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from July 24, 2021
- Caturday: River Cats Run by Rainiers 8-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Johnson's four-hit night carries River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Falls to Reno 2-1 in Saturday's Pitchers' Duel - Round Rock Express
- Chihuahuas Split Doubleheader Saturday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Corazones Score in the Bottom of the Eighth, Win 2-1 over Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Solo Homers Bite Albuquerque in Nightcap - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Detmers Shines in Bees Shutout - Salt Lake Bees
- Skeeters Get to Dodgers' Pen - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Hinojosa Homer Helps Skeeters Hang on in OKC - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Isotopes Set Team Record, Motter Ties Another in Game 1 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 24, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- River Cats' bats stifled in shutout defeat - Sacramento River Cats
- Reno Uses Early Scoring to Take Game Two 5-3 over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Dubón homers, Ondrusek struggles in Final Stretch opening defeat
- Dickerson homers, Krizan scores thrice in River Cats' series-clinching victory
- Costly error leads to four-run inning for Aviators
- Trio of home runs gives River Cats third straight win
- Mathisen, Tauchman slug River Cats to commanding win