River Bandits Win Midwest League Championship
RIVER BANDITS WIN MIDWEST LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP
Early onslaught seals the deal in sweep of Fort Wayne in Championship Series
DAVENPORT, Iowa -- The Quad Cities River Bandits are champions of the Midwest League after a 12-2 win in game three of the Midwest League Championship Series over the Fort Wayne TinCaps in front of 4,608 fans at Modern Woodmen Park. Ronel Blanco tossed 6.2 shutout innings with ten strikeouts to lead the way while the Bandits scored ten runs in the first three innings to leave little doubt.
This is the seventh time in franchise history Quad Cities has won the Midwest League Championship and third time in the last seven years. Chuckie Robinson homered in the game, his fourth of the post-season, as part of a four-hit game to earn him Midwest League Championship Series MVP honors.
The River Bandits scored three runs in the first inning to take an early lead. Troy Sieber doubled home two runs before an out was recorded in the first and Josh Rojas added to the lead with a sacrifice fly. The Bandits then rattled off six two-out runs in the second to run away with the clinching game early. Wander Franco and J.J. Matijevic drew back-to-back walks with the bases loaded before a Kristian Trompiz single drove home two to cap the inning.
Blanco struck out the side in the first inning, sparking a career-high ten strikeout game for the Bandits starter. Blanco scattered four hits and did not walk a batter to earn the clinching game. Lucas Williams pitched two scoreless innings to close out the game for the River Bandits.
The River Bandits open the 2018 season against the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Thursday, April 5, at Modern Woodmen Park. Stay tuned to River Bandits social media and the website for updates throughout the offseason.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 17, 2017
- River Bandits Win Midwest League Championship - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps ReCap: Quad Cities 12, Fort Wayne 2 (September 16) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits One Win Away from Midwest League Title - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps ReCap: Quad Cities 5, Fort Wayne 0 (September 14) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Rally Leads to Game One Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Hargrove's Home Run Boosts Beloit Past Bandits 4-1
- Bandits Drop Second Half Opener 3-2 to Beloit
- River Bandits Beat Bees 5-2, Close Half by Winning Six Straight
- Ramirez and De La Cruz Added to All-Star Team
- Sound the Alarm, Bandits Clinch First Half Title with 2-1 Win