'Riders Salvage Split
CORPUS CHRISTI - Ryan Feierabend limited Corpus Christi to five hits over six innings and Jared Hoying drove in four runs as Frisco beat the Hooks 7-1 Sunday at Whataburger Field before 6,931.
The RoughRiders (10-6) salvaged a series split after dropping consecutive games.
Feierabend improved to 1-1 while yielding five hits and two walks. He fanned two. The former Seattle prospect threw 73 pitches (47 strikes).
Sunday's contest featured six twin-killings, four by the visitors. Hooks starter Matt Heidenreich coaxed double-play grounders in each of the first two innings. Feierabend got one off the bat of Enrique Hernandez in the second, but it pushed Carlos Perez home from third. The Hooks DH stroked a lead-off single to right and progressed two bases on Rene Garcia's hit the same direction.
Frisco responded by leveling the contest at one, Hoying's two-out single plating Zach Zaneski (lead-off double) during a three-hit third-inning rally.
Hoying's two-run shot into the right-field swimming pool highlighted a three-run Frisco fifth. Hanser Alberto chipped in with a sacrifice fly. One-out singles by Teodoro Martinez and Odubel Herrera fueled the uprising.
Heidenreich (1-2) booked eight hits and five strikeouts over five innings. Fifty-six of his 79 pitches found the strike zone.
Hoying struck again during Frisco's two-run seventh as the RoughRiders extended their lead to 6-1. His double off Ruben Alaniz sent Herrera homeward following the second baseman's run-scoring single.
Herrera enjoyed a five-hit game. In the ninth, he stroked a two-out double to deep center before changing places with Alberto on a two-base hit into the left-field corner.
Hoying has hit safely in nine straight.
Corpus Christi (9-7) next plays four in Midland. Jake Buchanan (1-0) and Carlos Quevedo (0-0) split Hooks pitching duties Monday vs. Zach Neal (0-0) at 6:30.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 21, 2013
- Zach Neal Continues Hot Start; Hounds Win 3-1 - Midland RockHounds
- Tulsa Earns Series Split with Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Missions Drop Series to RockHounds - San Antonio Missions
- Drillers Win, Split with Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Missions Drop Series with 3-1 Loss - San Antonio Missions
- 'Riders Salvage Split - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Cardinals Win in 10, 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Outbursts from Hoying and Herrera Lead RoughRiders to Series Split - Frisco RoughRiders
- Missions Offense Comes up Short against Midland - San Antonio Missions
- Smith and Smyth Set Table for Newby - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.