RHP J.B. Cox Promoted To Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
(Trenton, NJ)- The Trenton Thunder, Double A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that RHP J.B. Cox has been promoted from Trenton to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Triple-A). RHP Mark Melancon has been promoted from Tampa (High-A) to Trenton to take Cox's spot on the roster.
Cox was 0-0 with a 1.35 ERA in 5 G for the Thunder with 1 SV. He was promoted to Trenton from Tampa on April 26th. He had an 0-0 record with a 3.00 ERA in 6 G for Tampa with 1 SV. He enters the 2008 season as the 26th best prospect in the Yankees Minor League System according to Baseball America. Cox did not pitch at all in the 2007 season because of surgery on his right elbow. He went 6-2 with Trenton during 2006 with a 1.75 ERA and 3 SV. He was originally selected by the Yankees in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft from the University of Texas. He was a member of the Longhorns' NCAA Championship Team in 2005.
Melancon went 1-0 with a 2.84 ERA in 13 G for Tampa. He struck out 20, and walked only 6 in 25.1 IP. He enters the 2008 season as the 11th best prospect in the Yankees Minor League System according to Baseball America. He did not pitch in 2007 after having Tommy John surgery in November 2006. In 2006, he had an 0-1 record with a 3.52 ERA in 7 G for Staten Island (New York-Penn) with 2 SV. He was originally drafted in the 9th round of the 2006 draft out of the University of Arizona.
Trenton starts a three-game series against the Portland Sea Dogs, the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, tonight at 7:05 p.m. RHP Dan McCutchen (4-2, 2.15) will start for Trenton against Portland RHP Michael Bowden (2-3, 2.68) To purchase tickets call 609-394-3300 or order online at www.trentonthunder.com
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 13, 2008
- Bowie Baysox to kick it old school this Sunday - Bowie Baysox
- Reimold Hits Birthday Bash - Bowie Baysox
- Portland Bats Come Alive in 7-1 win over Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Portland plays their longest game of the year at 3 hours and 38 minutes - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Fall in 10 - Erie SeaWolves
- Parnell, Martinez Lead B-Mets To Come-From-Behind Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Two R-Phils honored, trade winds and more - Reading Fightin Phils
- Senators Activate Luke Montz And Levale Speigner From Disabled List - Harrisburg Senators
- Defenders Win 7-2 - Connecticut Defenders
- Mathews hits two-run double in 7-2 loss to Defenders - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators fall to Reading, 3-2 - Harrisburg Senators
- Infield Dirt Deemed Unplayable After Heavy Rainfall This Past Weekend - Altoona Curve
- Aeros and Curve Postponed Tuesday - Akron RubberDucks
- Rock Cats Set For Fourth Homestand Of 2008 Season - New Britain Rock Cats
- Akron Aeros Game Notes 5-13-08 - Akron RubberDucks
- Erie SeaWolves At Bowie Baysox - Game One Of Three - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- RHP J.B. Cox Promoted To Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - Trenton Thunder
- Curve set to open fun, unique homestand against the Akron Aeros tonight at 6:35 p.m. - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.