Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC in Final Match of Orlando City Invitational
ORLANDO, Fla. - The New England Revolution fell to Orlando City SC, 6-2, in the second and final match of the Inaugural Orlando City Invitational at Orlando City Stadium on Wednesday evening. Orlando jumped ahead with a pair of goals in the 29th and 32rd minute, and padded its lead on the other side of halftime with goals from Josué Colmán, Santiago Patiño, Cristian Higuita, and Dillon Powers. Revolution forward Teal Bunbury responded with a brace late in the second half to pull two back for New England.
New England returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 23, when it wraps up its 2019 preseason slate against Icelandic side KR Reykjavik at IMG Academy in Bradenton.
New England Revolution 2, Orlando City SC 6
February 20, 2019 - Orlando City Stadium (Orlando, Fla.)
ORL - Uri Rosell (Penalty Kick) 29'
ORL - Brandon Bye (Own Goal) 32'
ORL - Josué Colmán (Cam Lindley) 47'
ORL - Santiago Patiño (Uri Rosell) 49'
ORL - Cristian Higuita (Josué Colmán) 51'
ORL - Dillon Powers (Penalty Kick) 56'
NE - Teal Bunbury (Scott Caldwell) 81'
NE - Teal Bunbury (Unassisted) 90'
NE - Cristian Penilla (Yellow Card) 11'
NE - Matt Turner (Yellow Card) 55'
NE - Tajon Buchanan (Yellow Card) 60'
ORL - Uri Rosell (Yellow Card) 63'
New England Revolution: Matt Turner, Edgar Castillo, Antonio Delamea, Michael Mancienne, Brandon Bye, Luis Caicedo (Wilfried Zahibo 52'), Diego Fagundez (Scott Caldwell HT), Cristian Penilla (Justin Rennicks 52'), Tajon Buchanan, Teal Bunbury, Carles Gil (Juan Agudelo 67')
Orlando City SC: Greg Ranjitsingh, Dioup, Silva, Lamine Sané, Dillon Powers, Cristian Higuita (Jordan Bender 72'), Cam Lindley, Uri Rosell, Santiago Patiño, Josué Colmán, Benji Michel
New England Revolution Defender Michael Mancienne
On what lessons the team can take away from the result:
Mancienne: "It's a reality check. We all need to wake up. The season is right around the corner now. It doesn't matter if it's a preseason game. Every game from now until the season is a game that we need to win to get momentum going into the season. It's a hard lesson. It's a hard pill to swallow, to be honest. We got to take that lesson and we've got to move forward now and pick ourselves up."
On tightening up defensively:
Mancienne: "To be honest, it all happened so quick. I think once we conceded that first goal in the second half, things kind of fell apart and we were a little bit rattled. We were a little bit all over the place. But that's when we need to have composure. We need people to have composure on the ball to steady the game and calm the game down - to take the sting out of the game and not concede that next one. If it means kicking the ball down the field and us squeezing up, then that's what we have to do."
On improving play coming out of halftime:
Mancienne: "Everyone was up for the second half. Conceding that early goal in the second half, it rattled us and put us on the back foot again. It took us a while to get to grips in the second half again. It's a long, hard lesson that we need to realize. Everyone needs to wake up."
On what the team needs to take out of the remainder of preseason:
Mancienne: "We got to put this behind us now and make sure we're up for the next two games and make sure we win them."
For up-to-the-minute information on the Revolution, visit the team's official web site at RevolutionSoccer.net, or join the conversation and interact with fans on any of the team's social platforms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2019
- Montreal Draws 0-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando Claims Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Trophy - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Phoenix Rising FC - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC in Final Match of Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Lamah's late goal equalizes as Orange and Blue stay atop Carolina Challenge Cup standings - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Take Road Victory in SCCL Leg 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battle FC Cincinnati to a 1-1 Draw in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire FC
- Acosta, Rosenberry and Rubio Pen Long-Term Deals with Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Club Nacional (International Friendly) - February 20, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fan-Focused Menu Options Coming to Houston Dynamo & Dash Home Games - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Loans for Bradford Jamieson IV and Joao Pedro - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Beats Real Salt Lake 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Acquire Paraguayan International Jorge Moreira on Loan - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Opens 2019 MLS Season with Innovative Culinary Enhancements at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Name El Silencio Their Exclusive Mezcal Partner - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Partner with On the Ball to Provide Complimentary Feminine Hygiene Products - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Named to Fast Company's Annual List of the World's Most Innovative Companies for 2019 - Los Angeles FC
- Late Goal Gives Dynamo Crucial 1-0 Win on the Road in Champions League - Houston Dynamo FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Visit D.C. United on Wednesday Night
- Revolution Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Carney Receives U.S. U-17 Call-Up
- New England Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Donates $10,000 Each to Dress for Success Providence and Bottom Line Boston
- Revolution Draw Chicago Fire FC, 2-2
- New England Revolution Playoff Ticket Packages Now on Sale