Renauld Williams Announces Retirement
The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced today import linebacker Renauld Williams is retiring from the Canadian Football League.
Williams originally entered the CFL in 2007 when he signed with the Roughriders as a free agent. The Hofstra University product spent three seasons with the Riders before signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers for 2010. Williams spent the 2011 and 2012 seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats before re-signing with the Riders in February, 2013 for his second stint with the Green and White.
Last season, Williams started the first ten games at middle linebacker, registering 42 defensive tackles, seven quarterback sacks and four special teams tackles. He suffered a season ending knee injury on September 8th in Winnipeg.
In his six year CFL career, Williams played in 76 regular season games registering 326 defensive tackles, 49 special teams tackles, and 21 quarterbacks sacks. He also played in four postseason games and the 2009 Grey Cup. He was named a 2011 and 2012 East Division All-Star and was a member of two Grey Cup championship teams, winning with Saskatchewan in 2007 and 2013.
Rey also had stops with the San Francisco 49ers, Miami Dolphins and Cleveland Browns seeing action in six regular season NFL games.
Williams has accepted a position on the club's football operations staff. He will immediately begin working as the team's Director of Player Development.
In the role, Williams will assist players in adapting to their roles, both on and off the field, while living in the Regina community. With an emphasis on education and finances, the goal is to provide players with a sense of balance as they acclimatize to life as a CFL player.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from March 17, 2014
- Edmonton Regional Combine Adds 5 Players to the National CFL Combine Roster - CFL
- Redblacks Sign Defensive Back Jermaine Robinson - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Annual Fan Forum to be Held April 14 - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers to Hold Mini-Camp in Florida Next Month - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Renauld Williams Announces Retirement - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Avon Cobourne Joins Riders Coaching Staff - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.