Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer
FRISCO, Texas - FC Dallas' Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal were named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game presented by Energizer®, Major League Soccer announced today.
The two former FC Dallas Academy players will take on Tigres UANL's Under-20 Team in the fifth annual MLS Homegrown Game on Tuesday, July 31 at 8 p.m. ET at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground (UDN / Twitter.com).
The annual Homegrown Game is played the day before the MLS All-Star Game, which is set for Wednesday, Aug. 1 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (6:30 PM CT).
Cannon, 19, signed as the 18th Homegrown Player for FC Dallas on December 22, 2016, following his freshman year at UCLA. Cannon has started in all 18 games for FCD this season and has netted one goal. He has also played at the youth national team levels playing for the United States U-17 and U-19 teams. This is the defender's first MLS Homegrown Game selection.
Pomykal, 18, was signed to a Homegrown Player contract by FC Dallas in September 2016 as the 15th Homegrown Player in club history. Pomykal has played in three regular season games this season. Most recently, Pomykal has represented the United States at the Under-18 level, scoring a goal to help the club win the 2016 Vaclav Jezek Tournament Championship in August. This is Pomykal's second MLS Homegrown game selection (2017).
The Homegrown team, to be coached by Atlanta United Academy Director Tony Annan, features some of the league's most accomplished young stars. Tickets, starting at $15, may be purchased on Ticketmaster.com and includes entrance to the Special Olympics Unified Sports® All-Star Soccer Match presented by MLS WORKS and ESPN, held immediately prior at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground. Tickets are now available.
One of the many highly anticipated events during the week of events surrounding 2018 MLS All-Star Atlanta, the MLS Homegrown Game presented by Energizer® provides an annual platform in which to showcase MLS' burgeoning young talent and demonstrate the growth of the League's youth development system. MLS academies continue to attract and cultivate top-flight prospects and have now produced over 170 Homegrown Players who have signed professional contracts with MLS clubs. Vital to the long-term success of their clubs, Homegrown Players now serve more important and visible roles than ever, with academy products logging a record number of goals, assists, minutes and games played in 2017. Of note, the 94 assists compiled by Homegrown Players in 2017 is more than double the total compared to 2016.
2018 MLS Homegrown Team Roster
Goalkeepers: JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Sean Melvin (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
Defenders: Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas), Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union), James Sands (New York City FC), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union)
Midfielders: Efrain Alvarez (LA Galaxy), Chris Durkin (D.C. United), Anthony Fontana (Philadelphia Union), Liam Fraser (Toronto FC), Lagos Kunga (Atlanta United), Wan Kuzain (Sporting Kansas City), Cameron Lindley (Orlando City SC), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake)
Forwards: Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United), Ben Mines (New York Red Bulls)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 12, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Kerri Walsh Jennings' Event Series p1440 Announces Avaya Stadium as San Jose Venue - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Foundation to Co-Host First Street Soccer USA Cup - Los Angeles - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Partners with Purple - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski Selected to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Andrew Carleton, Lagos Kunga Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Sean Melvin Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Liam Fraser Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Ben Mines Selected to Play in MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - New York Red Bulls
- Kuzain and Lindsey Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake FW Sebastian Saucedo Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Real Salt Lake
- Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - FC Dallas
- U.S., Mexico and Canada Youth National Team Stars Highlight Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - MLS
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Transfers Defender Omar Gaber to Egyptian Side Pyramids FC - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Signs Argentine Defender NicolÃ¡s Del Grecco - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: New York and Sporting Kansas Square off on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-3 to Philadelphia Union - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- Marquinhos Pedroso Undergoes Successful Offseason Surgery to Repair Core Muscle Injury
- Applications Are Open for FC Dallas Foundation Community Action Grants Presented by CornerStone Staffing
- Chris Richards to Join U.S. U-20s Squad for Qualification Stage
- Carlos Gruezo, Maynor Figueroa Called into National Team Duty
- Reggie Cannon Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty