Redbirds Roll to Fifth-Straight Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds fired on all cylinders in a 9-1 win over the Round Rock Express (Rangers) Saturday night at AutoZone Park.
The Redbirds have won five-straight games and 13 of their last 15 and maintain a hold on the best record in Triple-A Baseball at 59-33. Memphis has won nine-straight games against the Express (41-52) and lead the season series 13-2.
Luke Weaver improved to 8-1 on the season with 5.0 innings of three-hit work, allowing just one run, to go along with six strikeouts and no walks. He lowered his season ERA to 1.92.
The offense rolled from the start, scoring seven runs in the first three innings and never looking back. Carson Kelly tied a career high with his ninth home run of the season, a two-run shot in the first inning, and Patrick Wisdom hit his 19th of the year in the seventh.
Along with Kelly and Wisdom's two-hit games, Aledmys Diaz was 2-for-3 with a run, an RBI, and a walk, Harrison Bader was 2-for-4 with an RBI double and two runs, and Alex Mejia had two hits and a double.
After Weaver, four Redbirds relievers combined for 4.0 shutout innings with one hit allowed. Zach Duke tossed a perfect seventh inning with two strikeouts in his fourth injury rehab appearance with the Redbirds.
The Redbirds have allowed three runs or fewer in six-straight games and 14 of the last 17 overall.
The Redbirds and the Express conclude their series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05.
Next Games at AutoZone Park The homestand concludes with:
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2017
- Aces in First Place for 50th Straight Day - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Roll to Fifth-Straight Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Topple Storm Chasers Behind Munoz's Big Night - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Cage Express 9-1 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (43-28) at El Paso Chihuahuas (34-37)
- Redbirds' Five First-Inning Runs Enough for Hudson
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (42-28) at El Paso Chihuahuas (34-36)
- Redbirds Rally for Three in the Eighth to Beat El Paso, 8-6
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (41-28) at El Paso Chihuahuas (34-35)