Red-Hot Myers, Beckham Lead Bulls in Walkoff Win
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls had a walkoff 9-8 win over the Buffalo Bisons in a wild slugfest at the DBAP on Tuesday night. Wil Myers hit a two-run home run for his second homer of the game to tie things in the ninth inning, and Tim Beckham singled off the Blue Monster to score pinch runner Jason Bourgeois to end the game.
Durham posted starter Mike Montgomery to a 3-0 lead in the first inning, as Leslie Anderson, Shelley Duncan, and Beckham had back-to-back-to-back RBI hits.
Montgomery, making his first start at the DBAP, couldn't keep the Bisons bats in check, however. Buffalo got the first runner on base in the first seven innings, with two doubles, a Ryan Langerhans home run, and six hits, and six of them went on to score. After a second-inning run, Moises Sierra hit a two-run homer off Montgomery in the second to tie the game. Mike McCoy's RBI double in the fourth put the Bisons on top.
Montgomery was in trouble much of the night, giving up 8 hits and 5 runs in 5 innings. He also threw three wild pitches.
The Bulls clawed back, though. Vince Belnome led off the fifth with a double and scored on Anderson's double. Belnome had two hits as he extended his hitting streak to 17 games, matching the second-longest streak in the IL this season and the longest by a Bull since Anderson's 19 straight in 2011. Anderson had three hits and 2 RBIs on the night.
In the seventh, Belnome led off with a walk and Myers hit a mammoth home run off the fourth-floor balcony of Diamond View II in left, coming within 5 feet of putting the ball on the roof. The red-hot Myers has nine homers this year, five in the last six games, and three in the last two days. It was his first two-homer game since July 30 of last year, when he was with Omaha.
Cory Wade (W, 1-0, 4.50) pitched the last two innings to win his first IL game of the year and earn his first Bulls win since June 2, 2011. Buddy Carlyle (3-1, 4.45) took the loss in relief. The win kept the Bulls in a tie for first place in the IL South with Norfolk, who beat Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The Bulls have taken the first two games of the series, which continues at the DBAP Wednesday night at 7:05pm. Alex Colome (4-5, 2.60) starts for the Bulls against Buffalo's Claudio Vargas (3-4, 5.29).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 28, 2013
- Hessman Homer Helps Bats to 5-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Tides Rally past Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - Norfolk Tides
- Tides Beat RailRiders in See-Saw Contest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red-Hot Myers, Beckham Lead Bulls in Walkoff Win - Durham Bulls
- Goedert's Blasts Lift Indianapolis over PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Lennerton Homers Twice in Hens' Loss in Charlotte - Toledo Mud Hens
- Late Rally Falls Short as Braves Clip Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tuesday's Red Wings Game Suspended; to be Resumed on Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Game Notes - May 28, 2013 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs vs. Red Wings - Game Notes - May 28, 2013 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Cingrani Leads Bats Against Columbus - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings vs. IronPigs - Game Notes - May 28, 2013 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons vs. Bulls - Game Notes - May 28, 2013 - Buffalo Bisons
- Rohlfing Promoted to AAA Rochester - Rochester Red Wings
- PawSox Storm by Tribe 9-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Win Extra-Inning Thriller in Charlotte - Toledo Mud Hens
- Clippers Outlast Bats 13-11 - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.