Red Bulls to Face Olympique Lyonnais Tuesday, July 16
HARRISON, NJ - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they will host seven-time Ligue 1 winner, Olympique Lyonnais, in a friendly on Tuesday, July 16 at 8:00 PM at Red Bull Arena.
"We are proud to host Olympique Lyonnais at Red Bull Arena," said Red Bulls General Manager Jérôme de Bontin. "Lyon has a storied history in France and has featured a number of top international players, including our own Juninho and Peguy Luyindula, while playing a distinct brand of soccer. They have been an example to many European clubs of how to build a solid soccer organization over many years, with a strong vision and goals that are reflected by their consistent success and seven-straight Lique 1 championships. We look forward to welcoming Lyon and expect a very entertaining match at Red Bull Arena that will please Red Bulls fans and soccer enthusiasts across the tri-state area."
"I have such a fantastic memory of winning the LFP Champions Trophy in July 2012 at Red Bull Arena, which perfectly launched our season. Since then, regularly speaking with Gérard Houllier, I knew we would soon be back and I immediately responded when it was proposed that we play against the New York Red Bulls this summer," said Olympique Lyonnais President Jean-Michel Aulas. "Through our international brand building program, being hosted by the Red Bulls proves to be a symbolic landmark. We are very proud to have been the New York Red Bulls' choice for this exciting exhibition game next July."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2013
- De Luna Knows Best What Real Can Bring - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Landon Donovan admits he misses surging USMNT, looks to focus on Galaxy form before recall - Los Angeles Galaxy
- U-20s: Jose Villarreal, Shane O'Neill Lead US to 3-1 Win - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Players See Reserve League Game as Opportunity to Shine - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake MF Kyle Beckerman Added to US Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew Faces Quick Turnaround against First-Place Impact - Columbus Crew SC
- MRI confirms ACL tear in Gláuber's left knee - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Receives Fourth Round Pick in 2014 Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution Poised for First Visit to BC Place to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Captain Named to U.S. Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Crew vs. Impact - Match Preview - Columbus Crew SC
- Fatherly Influence Leads Higuaín, Warzycha to Careers in Professional Soccer - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls to Face Olympique Lyonnais Tuesday, July 16 - New York Red Bulls
- Fire Continue Chase For Fifth Lamar Hunt Trophy At Toyota Park On June 26 - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Announce Strategic Merger with FC Drive - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Waive M Abu Tommy - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Faces Crew Saturday Night in Columbus - Montreal Impact
- Crew Knocked Out, But Injury to Glauber Could Prove to be Bigger Blow - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy's Bruce Arena Suggests MLS Changes - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Drops Three Points to Chicago at Home
- Match Preview: New York Welcomes Chicago for Annual Autism Awareness Match
- Red Bull Arena to Host Juventus F.C. vs S.L. Benfica in International Champions Cup
- New York Remains Perfect at Home, Defeats Montreal, 3-1
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Montreal for Saturday Matinee