Red Bulls Take Road Victory in SCCL Leg 1
The New York Red Bulls opened the 2019 season with a 2-0 road win against Atletico Pantoja in Leg 1 of a Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 series on Wednesday night in the Dominican Republic. The Red Bulls return home for Leg 2 next week carrying a 2-0 aggregate lead and two away goals.
The franchise's all-time leading scorer, Bradley Wright-Phillips, created the first goal of the 2019 season, putting a bicycle kick towards goal in the 39th minute for what would eventually be ruled an own goal.
Danny Royer got the second goal in the 67th minute, bringing down a lofted cross from Kaku at the back post and firing into the back of the net for his 33rd goal across all competitions.
Luis Robles was not required to make a save in the shutout.
New York started 2019 with 10 of the 11 starters from its final match of 2018.
Kemar Lawrence entered the match at the start of the second half, replacing Connor Lade. It was the first game action for Lawrence since suffering a knee injury ahead of the Eastern Conference Finals series against Atlanta United.
Homegrown signing Omir Fernandez made his professional debut in the 75th minute, replacing fellow Red Bulls Academy product Alex Muyl.
It was the first time in the RBNY gameday 18 for offseason acquisitions Amro Tarek and Marcus Epps.
All time in SCCL play, New York has won or drawn seven of 10 matches away from Red Bull Arena, going 2-3-5 on the road.
The second leg against Atletico Pantoja is set for next Wednesday, February 27, at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET with coverage on Yahoo Sports and Red Bulls Radio.
Atletico Pantoja 0, New York Red Bulls 2
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League | Round of 16
Wednesday, February 20, 2018 - 8 p.m. ET
Felix Sanchez Stadium
NY - Pantoja own goal 39'
NY - Danny Royer (Kaku) 67'
NY - Michael Amir Murillo (caution, unsporting behavior) 66'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Aaron Long, Michael Amir Murillo, Tim Parker, Connor Lade (Kemar Lawrence, HT), Sean Davis, Marc Rzatkowski, Kaku, Alex Muyl (Omir Fernandez, 75'), Danny Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips (Brian White, 83')
TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; FOULS: 20; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 0
Atletico Pantoja: Odalis Baez; Carlos Rossel, Nicolas Rebollo, Oscalin Ferreras, Pedro Munosz, Jean Carlos Lopez, Jean Innocent, Luis Polanco (Darly Batista, 80'), Pablo Marisi (Nerlin Saint-Vil, 55') Ronaldo Vasquez (Pedro Martinez, 74'), Luis Espinal
TOTAL SHOTS: 6; SHOTS ON GOAL: 0; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 0; SAVES: 7
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2019
- Montreal Draws 0-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies - Montreal Impact
- Orlando Claims Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Trophy - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Phoenix Rising FC - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC in Final Match of Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Lamah's late goal equalizes as Orange and Blue stay atop Carolina Challenge Cup standings - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Take Road Victory in SCCL Leg 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battle FC Cincinnati to a 1-1 Draw in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Acosta, Rosenberry and Rubio Pen Long-Term Deals with Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Club Nacional (International Friendly) - February 20, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fan-Focused Menu Options Coming to Houston Dynamo & Dash Home Games - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Announce Loans for Bradford Jamieson IV and Joao Pedro - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Beats Real Salt Lake 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Acquire Paraguayan International Jorge Moreira on Loan - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Opens 2019 MLS Season with Innovative Culinary Enhancements at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Name El Silencio Their Exclusive Mezcal Partner - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Partner with On the Ball to Provide Complimentary Feminine Hygiene Products - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Named to Fast Company's Annual List of the World's Most Innovative Companies for 2019 - Los Angeles FC
- Late Goal Gives Dynamo Crucial 1-0 Win on the Road in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East
- Six New York Red Bulls in Action for October International Window