Red Bulls Midfielder Tim Cahill Named MLS Player of the Week
HARRISON, NJ - New York Red Bulls midfielder Tim Cahill was named MLS Player of the Week for Week 9 following his two-goal performance in the Red Bulls' 2-1 win over Toronto FC at BMO Field Saturday afternoon. It is the first time that Cahill has earned the honor. The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR).
Cahill opened his account for the 2013 season in the 39th minute, one-timing a Roy Miller cross into the back of the net to give the visitors the lead. The Australian International then recorded his first career MLS multi-goal game, breaking a 1-1 tie and helping New York earn the three points after heading home a Thierry Henry lob a minute from full time.
This season, Cahill has recorded nine starts, notching two assists. After joining the Red Bulls on July 26, 2012 as a Designated Player, Cahill started in 12 regular season matches and two postseason games, notching a goal and three assists.
New York returns to action Saturday, May 4 when it takes on the Columbus Crew at 4:00 PM ET (TV: NBC Sports Network; Radio: ESPN Deportes Radio Nueva York 1050 AM) at Crew Stadium. The Red Bulls are next home on Wednesday, May 8 to battle the Montreal Impact at 7:30 PM. For tickets, call 1.877.RBSOCCER or log onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 29, 2013
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Statement: Mark McCullers Update on Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution Youth Update: Albertson SC - New England Revolution
- MLS Cup Rematch - This Week in MLS - MLS
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Tickets on Sale Tuesday for FC Dallas July 27 Friendly with EPL Side Stoke City - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake to Host Star Wars Day at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Midfielder Tim Cahill Named MLS Player of the Week - New York Red Bulls
- New York Red Bulls Midfielder Tim Cahill Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Field Set for National Finals of Sueño MLS 2013 - MLS
- Chicago Fire Use Break to Gear up for Philadelphia Union Series - Chicago Fire
- New-Look Setup Pays Dividends for Revolution - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Four New York Red Bulls Earn National Team Call Ups
- Early Penalty Kick Dooms New York, Loses to RSL, 1-0
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Head West to Face Real Salt Lake
- Dates Set for Red Bulls - Chivas Guadalajara SCCL Semifinal Matchup
- New York Red Bulls U-23's Qualify for 2018 U.S. Open Cup