Red Bulls and Vancouver End in 2-2 Draw
The New York Red Bulls (5-5-3, 18 pts) and Vancouver Whitecaps FC (3-6-5, 14 pts) ended in a 2-2 draw on Wednesday at Red Bull Arena. New York is unbeaten in their last three matches (2-0-1) and have moved into fifth place in the Eastern Conference.
Following a counterattack, Vancouver defender Scott Sutter gave the away side an early 1-0 lead in the 29th minute.
New York then responded minutes later off a set piece as Kaku swung a pass into the box. Kaku' pass was headed towards net by Amro Tarek and then headed by Brian White for the equalizer in the 37th minute.
Minutes into the second half, White sent a pass across the six-yard box, which was redirected by Vancouver's Andy Rose for an Own Goal in the 55th for a 2-1 lead.
In the 61st minute, New York defender Sean Nealis was called for a handball to give Vancouver a penalty kick. Fredy Montero took the PK and finished to the right side to even the score, 2-2.
White recorded his third career MLS goal and second tally in the last three matches. The Flemington, N.J., native has tallied a point in four of the six league matches he has appeared in.
Tarek, who tallied his first goal as a Red Bull against the Galaxy, recorded his first career MLS assist on White's goal in the 37th minute.
Kaku tallied his second assist of 2018 and 16th career league helper.
Captain and goalkeeper Luis Robles recorded a season-high five saves to help secure the tie.
New York is 51-44-24 all-time in the month of May. New York has scored 184 goals in May and allowed 169.
New York will have another quick turnaround as they travel to face FC Cincinnati on Saturday, May 25. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
2019 MLS Regular-Season Match 13
Wednesday - 8 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
VAN - Scott Sutter 1 (unassisted) 29'
NY - Brian White 3 (Tarek, Kaku) 37'
NY - Own Goal (Andy Rose)
VAN - Fredy Montero 4 (PK) 61'
NY - Sean Nealis (caution, unsporting behavior) 8'
VAN - Derek Cornelius (caution, unsporting behavior) 87'
VAN - Zac MacMath (caution, time wasting) 90'+2'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Amro Tarek, Connor Lade, Kyle Duncan, Sean Nealis, Cristian Casseres, Jr., Kaku, Alex Muyl (Sean Davis, 71'), Omir Fernandez, Derrick Etienne, Jr. (Daniel Royer, 71'), Brian White (Tom Barlow, 80')
TOTAL SHOTS: 18; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 5
Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Zac MacMath; Eric Godoy, Andy Rose, Scott Sutter, Derek Cornelius, Ali Adnan, Victor Giro (Hwang In-Boem, 62'), Felipe, Jon Erice ©, Brett Levis (Fredy Montero, HT), Joaquin Ardaiz (Lucas Venuto, 71')
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 1
Referee: Victor Rivas
Assistant Referees: Frank Anderson, Brian Poeschel
4th Official: Ted Unkel
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 22, 2019
- MNUFC Depth on Display in 1-0 Loss to Hertha Berlin - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Fall to Real Betis 5-2 in a Friendly at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and Vancouver End in 2-2 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- 'Caps earn another road point in exciting match versus New York Red Bulls - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Named 'Sports Team of the Year' at 2019 Sports Business Awards - Atlanta United FC
- The Goal King: Chris Wondolowski Cements His Place in MLS History: Week 13 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Midfielder PrzemysÅ?aw Frankowski Called up to Poland National Team - Chicago Fire
- Game on Saturday, June 1 at Stade Saputo Moved to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - MLS
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - Orlando City SC
- Mexican National Team Members and Award-Winning Singer Luis Coronel to Headline Fan Fest at Inaugural MexTour Live in Dallas on June 7 - FC Dallas
- Know Your Opponent | LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Sebas Mendez Called up to Ecuador's Copa America Squad - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U.S. 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster - LA Galaxy
- Chad Marshall Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eryk Williamson Called into Combined Preparation Camp with U.S. Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East