Red Bulls Acquire Josué Martinez and Allocation Money
HARRISON, NJ (Dec. 6, 2012) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they have acquired forward Josué Martinez and allocation money in exchange for forward Sébastien Le Toux.
"We are excited to bring Josué to the Red Bulls. Our staff considers him a young player with potential. In addition, the allocation money we received will provide us some financial flexibility," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "Sébastien indicated to us at the end of the season that he wanted to return to Philadelphia and we respected his request. We want to thank him for his service to the Red Bulls and wish him the best of luck in the future."
In his first season in MLS, Martinez played in 18 games, starting in six and scored one goal. The 22-year-old was signed from Costa Rican side, Deportivo Saprissa, on Dec. 7, 2011. In 2011, Martinez played 18 games and tallied six goals. A year before, Martinez helped Saprissa win the Costa Rican First Division Clausura. Martinez started his career in 2009 with Saprissa and appeared in a total of 66 matches over three seasons, notching 19 goals.
On the international level, Martinez has earned 16 caps for Costa Rica and scored two goals. He was also part of the Costa Rican 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup squad that finished fourth.
Le Toux, who was out of contract with New York at the end of the 2012 season, was acquired by New York on July 13, 2012 from Vancouver Whitecaps FC in exchange for Dane Richards and allocation money. In his stint with the Red Bulls, Le Toux played in 14 games (nine starts) and recorded one goal and one assist.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 6, 2012
- Timbers Re-Sign Three, Exercise Options on Eight Players - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Josué Martinez and Allocation Money - New York Red Bulls
- Union Re-Acquires Forward Sebastien LeToux - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Defender George John Undergoes Minor Ankle Procedure - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Indianapolis to Host 2013 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas on January 17 - MLS
- Chicago Fire Re-Sign Defender Gonzalo Segares - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Captain Pablo Mastroeni to Return in 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - Toronto FC
- BBVA Compass Stadium Earns LEED(r) Silver Certification - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.