RECAP: Jumbo Shrimp Take BayBears Series with 5-2 Win
Jumbo Shrimp take BayBears series with 5-2 Win
Jacksonville remains in first place
MOBILE, Ala. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (28-25, 58-65) defeated the Mobile BayBears (27-27, 57-66) by a 5-2 score in the fourth game of the five-game series at Hank Aaron Stadium on Saturday night.
Jacksonville left-handed starter Dillon Peters (5-2) earned his third straight win, working six scoreless innings where he allowed two hits, walked two batters, and struck out five. Mobile right-handed starter Jaime Barria (1-6) took the loss, allowing just one run on five hits with a walk and two strikeouts in his five innings of work.
The game was scoreless until the top of the third when John Norwood's two-out RBI single gave Jacksonville a 1-0 lead. It remained a 1-0 game until Norwood hit a towering two-run homer to left in the seventh inning to put Jacksonville's lead at 3-0. The Jumbo Shrimp added two more runs in the eighth, with KC Serna leading off the inning with a home run, then Austin Dean drew a bases-loaded walk to grow the lead to 5-0.
The BayBears got their first runs of the game in the bottom of the eighth, with Matt Thaiss hitting an RBI double before Taylor Ward followed with an RBI single to cut Jacksonville's lead to 5-2, which would be the final score. Mobile did get two runners on base in the bottom of the ninth, but Tyler Kinley recorded the final two outs including striking out Alberto Triunfel swinging to end the game in a Jacksonville victory.
The Jumbo Shrimp have now won two of their last three road series, and the win maintains Jacksonville's spot in first place in the second half South Division standings by a half game over the Biloxi Shuckers, with the Shrimp having 17 games left to go in the 2017 season.
The Jumbo Shrimp and BayBears will conclude their series with the fifth game of the five-game set on Sunday evening at Hank Aaron Stadium at 6:05 p.m. ET. Right-handed pitcher Joe Gunkel (4-8, 5.05 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Mobile right-handed pitcher Luis Pena (0-0, 0.00 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 5:50 p.m. with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on FM 100.3 The Biz and AM 1600, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com .
ABOUT THE JUMBO SHRIMP : The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are beginning a new era of affordable family fun with the 2017 season presented by Community First Credit Union at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. With a new lineup of ticket and group options, there is a reason for everyone to get part of the action by calling the Jumbo Shrimp at (904) 358-2846 or visiting www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 19, 2017
- RECAP: Jumbo Shrimp Take BayBears Series with 5-2 Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RECAP: Villains from Biloxi Ruin Generals' Night - Jackson Generals
- M-Braves Dominate Blue Wahoos in Game Four - Mississippi Braves
- Logan Darnell's Strong Outing Silences Barons' Bats - Birmingham Barons
- Pensacola Five Game Winning Streak Snapped, 4-0, by Mississippi - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers 7, Generals 2 | | Early Scoring Outburst Helps - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Win Fifth Straight with 8-3 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Pensacola Offense Too Much for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Propel Past Biscuits,7-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- RECAP: Jumbo Shrimp Fall to BayBears 10-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.