RECAP: Corredor Plates Five in 11-8 Win over Lakewood
HAGERSTOWN, Md. - Aldrem Corredor drove in a career-high five runs and Blake Perkins matched his personal-best with four runs scored as the Hagerstown Suns (24-15) won an 11-8 slugfest against the Lakewood BlueClaws (22-18) on Thursday night at Municipal Stadium.
The Suns tallied 10 extra-base hits, setting a new record by a BlueClaws opponent in their 17-year history as a franchise. Corredor finished 4-for-5 at the plate with three doubles and a triple. The 21-year-old Venezuelan designated hitter is the first South Atlantic League batter to swat four extra-base hits in one game against Lakewood.
Hagerstown left fielder Oliver Ortiz opened the scoring with his first homer of the year, a solo blast, in the bottom of the second. Anderson Franco added a two-run shot in the third before Corredor's RBI double in the fifth gave the Suns a 9-0 advantage.
Lakewood rallied back with six runs in the sixth and plated two more in the seventh to put pressure on the Suns, 10-8, before Perkins and Corredor added insurance with back-to-back doubles in the bottom of the sixth.
Jordan Mills (Save, 3) entered from the pen to record the final eight outs for Hagerstown with just one hit allowed.
Tyler Watson (Win, 3-2) picked up his third victory in a row for the Suns thanks to early run support. The 19-year-old Nationals prospect allowed four earned runs in 5 1/3 innings. Reliever Mick VanVossen inherited a bases loaded situation in the sixth and allowed all three runners to score on a double down the right field line by Lakewood left fielder Carlos Duran.
Hagerstown pitchers held Lakewood to 4-for-22 at the plate with runners in scoring position and matched a season-high by stranding 12 BlueClaws on base.
The Suns now lead the SAL Northern Division by two games over the Greensboro Grasshoppers (22-17). Lakewood fell to third place, 2 1/2 games behind Hagerstown, entering Friday's rematch at 7:05 p.m. Right-handed starter Sterling Sharp (1-2, 4.55) takes his screwball-changeup hybrid to the mound against Lakewood righty Adonis Medina (1-2, 2.03) on Military Appreciation Night with a postgame fireworks spectacular.
For tickets, call 301-791-6266 or visit hagerstownsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2017
- Drive Game Story (): Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Start Hot, Finish Strong in 6-5 Win - Asheville Tourists
- WV Power Game Report - 5=2F18=2F17 - COL 3 WVP 2 (10) - West Virginia Power
- RECAP: Corredor Plates Five in 11-8 Win over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Walk-Off on Wild Pitch - Columbia Fireflies
- GAME RECAP: HIC 6, KAN 4: Dopico Spins Scoreless - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Augusta Cracks Open Scoreless Tie to Top RiverDogs, 9-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Off Day Attitude Bleeds into Double-Header - Asheville Tourists
- Early Smash Propels 'Hoppers Past Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.