Real Salt Lake Takes 1-0 Victory over Brigham Young University
SANDY, Utah (Monday, April 1, 2013) - Real Salt Lake beat Brigham Young University 1-0 in an exhibition match Monday night, getting a late first half goal from rookie MF John Stertzer to defeat the Cougars in front of a great crowd of 6,335 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Real Salt Lake ran out a reserve-laden lineup, using just one player on Monday who featured in the Claret-and-Cobalt's 2-1 victory over Seattle on Saturday night. RSL regular DF Chris Wingert played the final 30 minutes of Monday's match, his first game action since suffering a fractured right metatarsal last December.
RSL controlled the entire match, dominating possession and creating plenty of chances throughout the 90 minutes. Stertzer broke through for the Claret-and-Cobalt in first half stoppage time. MF Khari Stephenson crossed from the right corner to FW Olmes Garcia at the back post, with the Colombian striker heading the ball across the face of goal for Stertzer to nod in from less than a yard out.
Real Salt Lake continued attacking in the second half, nearly doubling the lead on several occasions. Garcia was particularly dangerous, getting to the end line seemingly at will throughout the second 45.
RSL Goalkeeper Coach and Reserve League Head Coach Jeff Cassar thought Monday's match provided some valuable experience for some of the Claret-and-Cobalt's younger players.
"We just want to push them along as fast as we can," Cassar said of the Utah side's youngsters. "The faster we can push them along with the reserves, the more they can help us out with the first team, so we're just putting a lot of energy into these young players so they can contribute to the full squad."
The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to training on Tuesday morning ahead of this Saturday's MLS regular season match at Rocky Mountain Cup Presented by Mark Miller Subaru rivals the Colorado Rapids. Saturday's match will kickoff at 5:30 p.m. MT and will be broadcast nationally on the NBC Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 1, 2013
- Real Salt Lake Takes 1-0 Victory over Brigham Young University - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Debut in the Books, Donovan Looks to Contribute vs. Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA to Face Spartans FC and Cal FC in Friendlies - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Reign FC to Appear at Sounders FC Match on April 2 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eastern Conference Roundup - Columbus Crew SC
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Will Johnson Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers' Will Johnson Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host New York Red Bulls in Sunday Doubleheader - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Loan Kellen Gulley to the Atlanta Silverbacks - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Honors Chris Wingert for 10 Season with the Club
- Real Salt Lake Academy Standouts Richard Ledezma, Diran Bebekian Called to National Team Camps
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2018 MLS Campaign Saturday Evening v. New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake MF Albert Rusnak Called in to Slovakian National Team
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update