Real Salt Lake Settles for 1-1 Road Draw at Dallas
FRISCO, Texas - Real Salt Lake (0-0-1, 1 point) got out to a first half lead against FC Dallas in the 2018 MLS regular season opener, but had to settle for one point after an own goal in the 85th minute drew the match level in a 1-1 draw at Toyota Stadium.
FW Joao Plata scored his first goal of the season and GK Nick Rimando finished with five saves as RSL remains unbeaten in the last nine regular season openers (5-0-4).
Real Salt Lake opened scoring in the 25th minute when MF Albert Rusnák set up Plata for his first goal of the season. RSL held that 1-0 lead into halftime thanks in large part to five saves from Rimando, including one goal-line clearance in the 39th minute, diving to his right to swipe away a shot from Maxi Urruti.
In the second half, RSL absorbed the pressure from Dallas, but in the 86th minute Urruti sent a ball across the goal mouth that deflected off DF Marcelo Silva and in for an own goal, evening the score at 1-1 and that's how it would finish.
UP NEXT: RSL will host Los Angeles FC in the first match against the expansion club on March 10 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Joao Plata (Albert Rusnák) 25th minute - On a play started by Damir Kreilach in the midfield, Albert Rusnák fed Joao Plata on a run in behind the Dallas defense up the left side. He cut back to his right foot inside the box and ripped his shot past Jimmy Maurer for his first goal of the year.
FCD: Own Goal (Marcelo Silva) 86th minute - Maxi Urruti got to the endline up the right side and attempted to put a shot inside the far post. His effort deflected off of Marcelo Silva and into the net to equalize at 1-1.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS:
RSL: Nick Rimando, 22nd minute - Off a quick free kick, Maxi Urruti got in behind the defense and rocketed a shot on goal, but Rimando was there to make the save and keep the match scoreless.
RSL: Nick Rimando, 38th minute - Dallas defender Reggie Cannon made an overlapping run to get into the box up the right side before skipping a ball across the goal mouth. Maxi Urruti got to it at the far post, but his low-angle shot was stopped on the line by Rimando, diving to his right and swiping the shot clear.
DF Shawn Barry and MF Damir Kreilach both made their MLS debuts in the starting lineup after playing their careers abroad.
RSL played without DF Tony Beltran (knee), DF Taylor Peay (knee), DF Adam Henley (hamstring), DF Aaron Herrera (hamstring), FW Jordan Allen (knee).
Real Salt Lake hasn't lost a season opener since a 2-0 defeat in Seattle in 2009. RSL has run its record to 5-0-4 in openers since then.
Match: Real Salt Lake at FC Dallas
Date: March 3, 2018
Venue: Toyota Stadium; Frisco, Texas
Weather: 67 and cloudy
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 0 1
FC Dallas 0 1 1
RSL - Joao Plata (Albert Rusnák) 25'
FCD - Own Goal (Marcelo Silva) 86'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Shawn Barry, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad, Demar Phillips (Danilo Acosta 77'); Kyle Beckerman, Damir Kreilach (Sunny 78'); Jefferson Savarino (David Horst 84'), Albert Rusnák, Joao Plata; Luis Silva.
Subs not used: Alex Horwath, Luke Mulholland, Sebastian Saucedo, Alfredo Ortuno
FC Dallas: (4-2-3-1): Jimmy Maurer; Reggie Cannon (Ryan Hollingshead 79'), Matt Hedges, Reto Ziegler, Maynor Figueroa; Carlos Gruezo, Jacori Hayes; Michael Barrios, Mauro Diaz (Roland Lamah 68'), Santiago Mosuera (Cristian Colman 63'); Maxi Urruti.
Subs not used: Kyle Zobeck, Kristoffer Reaves, Victor Ulloa, Tesho Akindele
Stats Summary: RSL / FCD
Shots: 9 / 18
Shots on Goal: 3 / 5
Saves: 5 / 2
Corner Kicks: 2 / 10
Fouls: 6 / 19
Offside: 1 / 3
FCD - Jacori Hayes (caution) 64'
FCD - Michael Barrios (caution) 77'
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Jason White, Eric Weisbrod
4th Official: Ted Unkel
Video Assistant Referee: Hilario Grajeda
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 3, 2018
- Real Salt Lake Settles for 1-1 Road Draw at Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- Early Ejection Proves Costly for Revs in Season-Opening Loss to Philadelphia - New England Revolution
- 10-Man Orlando City Steals Stoppage-Time Equalizer on Opening Day - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Draws Real Salt Lake 1-1 to Open 23rd MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 2-0, in Season Opener - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Start Fast in 4-0 Win over Atlanta United - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Drops Season Opener to Houston Dynamo - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against USL Affiliate Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC Announce 2018 Opening Day Roster - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Impact Kicks off Season Sunday Night in Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Begins Its 2018 Major League Soccer Season with Road Match at Toronto FC Today - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Returns from MLS World Cup Hiatus Saturday Night V. San Jose
- Real Salt Lake Unified Kick off Season with Friday's Signing Day
- Real Salt Lake & Utah Sports Commission Congratulate United 2026 for FIFA World Cup Award
- Real Salt Lake Enters World Cup Break with 3-0 Loss to LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Enters MLS World Cup Hiatus Saturday Night at LA Galaxy