Rascals Blow Lead Twice - Lose Again to Beach Bums 9-8
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The River City Rascals scored early and often but Traverse City used some late inning heroics to beat the Rascals for the fourth time this season by the score of 9-8. An Al Roach double off of newly signed reliever Shawn Callahan capped off a come from behind win for the Beach Bums who were able to overcome deficits of 5-1 and 7-5 against a slumping Rascals ballclub.
River City has now lost nine one-run games this season away from T.R. Hughes Ballpark and this was the second time this season that they were defeated by the Beach Bums in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Rascals would take advantage of some early wildness by southpaw starter Shaun Parker. Parker walked three in the top of the 3rd inning and after an Eddie Kim sacrifice fly to give River City the lead, Mike Madrid would launch his first home run of the season over the right field wall to give his team a 5-1 lead.
Traverse City would storm right back off of Derrick Landavazo who was making his first career start as a Rascal. The right-hander gave up four consecutive hits to lead off the frame and four Beach Bums would come around to score highlighted by a two-run triple by C Kevin Gergel who finished 2-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI.
The Rascals however would fight back to take a two run lead courtesy of a 5th inning RBI single by Eddie Guessford and a Gergel throwing error in the 7th inning that scored Justin McKinley from third base. McKinley had two doubles and scored twice for the Rascals who are now 4-15 on the road this season.
Traverse City though would score three times in the bottom of the 7th as the Rascals committed two of their four errors in the inning to give the Beach Bums an 8-7 advantage. River City did tie the game in the top of the 9th inning on an RBI single by Kim but the Rascals' DH was thrown out at second base after sliding past the bag and the inning came to an abrupt end. John Tapper (1-1) allowed the first two batters to reach in the 9th inning before Callahan came in and surrendered the game-winning double by Roach to end the game.
The Rascals have two more opportunities to win their first game at Traverse City starting with Monday's game beginning at 6:05. You can hear all the action on the radio home of the River City Rascals, 100.7 FM KFNS. Good seats are still available for the Rascals next home series against the first place Rockford RiverHawks starting July 8th. For tickets, call (636) 240-BATS or order online at www.rivercityrascals.com
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 3, 2006
- RiverHawks can't hold back ThunderBolts, lose 5-4 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Brazell pitches seven scoreless innings in Evansville win - Evansville Otters
- Evansville shuts out Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington walks off with wild 6-5 win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals still winless against Beach Bums after 6-3 loss - River City Rascals
- Beach Bums win another one at home - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Grizzlies to hold second annual community fund baseball camp - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Fall Short in Kalamazoo - OSC Original by Andrew Kappes
- Rascals Blow Lead Twice - Lose Again to Beach Bums 9-8 - River City Rascals
- Otters' Pawelczyk signed by Milwaukee Brewers - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.