Rapids Seeking Undefeated 2021 against DallasÃÂ
COMMERCE CITY, Colo.Â âÂ The Colorado Rapids (6-3-3, 21 points) close out a four-game homestand when FC Dallas (2-6-5, 11 points) visits DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday, July 21. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. MT, with pregame coverage beginning on Altitude Sports at 6:30 p.m. and on Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM.
"We're looking forward to seeing Dallas for the third time early in this season, [which]Â is a little bit unusual," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said. "They're a team that has given us a really tough time so far and a very talentedÂ team. RegardlessÂ of what their record says,Â they're obviously a very talented team.Â Some of their games have been so much better than their results. We know for us it's going to be a really difficult challenge."
The Rapids are coming off justÂ three days' rest following theirÂ 1-1 draw against San Jose on Saturday.Â Cole Bassett scored his third goal of the season with aÂ left-footed strike through trafficÂ to level the score in the 53rd minute.Â NicoÂ BenezetÂ and NicolásÂ MezquidaÂ earned their first assists of the season on the goal.Â 17-year-oldÂ DantoumaÂ "Yaya"Â ToureÂ made his MLS debutÂ in the second half, becoming the sixth teenager to make his MLS debut with Colorado since 2018.Â
The match extended Colorado's successful run of form at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. The Rapids are unbeaten in their lastÂ sixÂ at DSGP,Â including a 3-0 win over FC Dallas onÂ May 29.Â The Burgundy Boys have scored in 31 consecutive MLS matches at DSGP, the longest active home scoring streak in MLS. A goal on Wednesday would extend the streak to 32,Â tied forÂ theÂ fifth-longest in MLS history.Â
Bassett's goal tied him withÂ Diego Rubio and Michael BarriosÂ for the team lead. Barrios is also tied withÂ captainÂ Jack Price for the team lead with four assists.Â Rubio is tied for second in MLS with three game-winning goals, while Barrios is tied for second in the league with three game-winning assists. Goalkeeper William Yarbrough is tied for second in MLS with five clean sheets,Â two coming against Dallas this season.
Colorado will be withoutÂ KellynÂ Acosta, Jonathan Lewis and Sam Vines, who are all with the U.S. Men's National Team at the Concacaf Gold Cup.Â Vines became the first Rapids Academy product to score for the U.S. at a senior international tournament with his game-winning headerÂ against Haiti in Group B action.Â The U.S.Â will play its quarterfinal match on Sunday.Â
Dallas enters the match winless in its last three, including consecutive losses to LA Galaxy and Portland Timbers.Â This is the final match of a three-game road trip forÂ LuchiÂ Gonzalez' side. RicardoÂ PepiÂ pacesÂ the team with five goals,Â while Jesus FerreiraÂ and Ryan HollingsheadÂ each have three assists.
Wednesday's gameÂ marksÂ the second meeting of the season between these teams.Â They battled to a scoreless draw on Opening DayÂ in Frisco, Texas, before the Rapids' 3-0 winÂ at DSGPÂ on May 29.Â ColoradoÂ can earn seven points from three games against Dallas for the first time sinceÂ 2008.Â The Rapids areÂ undefeatedÂ inÂ theirÂ lastÂ seven meetings with Dallas at DSGPÂ and have won the last three.Â
After Wednesday,Â the Rapids will be on the road forÂ seven of their next ten matches. They take on Rocky Mountain Cup rival Real Salt Lake for the first time onÂ Saturday, July 24, closing out a three-game week in Utah.Â
"It's not only the back line, it's the whole team," defender Lalas Abubakar said of the Rapids' two clean sheets against Dallas so far this season. "It starts from the front, the midfield and the back line. Being dense, staying tight and communicating has been key for us so far. We have to continue doing that."
NewsÂ & Notes
The Rapids will be withoutÂ MÂ KellynÂ Acosta, F Jonathan Lewis and D Sam Vines, who are all withÂ the 23-player U.S. Men's National TeamÂ atÂ Concacaf Gold Cup.Â Vines is the first Rapids Academy product to be named to the USMNT for a senior international tournament. Vines scored his first USMNT goal in the 1-0 win over Haiti in Group B action.Â Colorado is tied with Atlanta for the most playersÂ on the USMNT Gold Cup roster.Â
The Rapids are the only team in MLS not to concede a goal in the final 15 minutes of matches this season.Â Colorado has allowed just four second-half goals, the fewest in MLS.Â Â
Colorado has scored in 31 consecutive MLS matches at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park, the longest active home scoring streak in MLS.Â The streak is currently tied with Atlanta United (May 20, 2018 to Aug. 29, 2020) for the sixth-longest in MLS history. Colorado has outscored its opponents by 19 in that time.Â Â
The Rapids are 10-2-4 at home under HC Robin Fraser.Â
The Rapids are undefeated in their last seven meetings against FC Dallas at DGSP since April 2015 and have won the last three. Colorado can take seven points from three games against Dallas in a single season for the first time since 2008 (they've played three games in a season six times since then).Â
Colorado has picked up two clean sheets against FC Dallas this season. The Rapids have swept the season series once, back in 2000 with a pair of 1-0 wins, which was also the only time Colorado went an entire season without conceding a goal to Dallas.Â
On Saturday, 17-year-old FÂ DantoumaÂ "Yaya"Â ToureÂ made his MLS debut.Â ToureÂ signed a Homegrown Player contractÂ with the Rapids in March and has one goal in seven appearances with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in the USL Championship. Other teenagers to make their MLS debuts since 2018 include:Â M Cole Bassett (17 years, 42 days old at debut), D Sam Vines (19 years, 143 days), D Sebastian Anderson (16 years, 262 days),Â FÂ BraianÂ GalvánÂ (19 years, 289 days) and M OliverÂ LarrazÂ (19 years, 241 days).Â
F NicoÂ Benezet'sÂ next appearance will be the 30th of his MLS career.Â The 30-year-old Frenchman has four assists in 21 career matches with Colorado and picked up an assist in his first start of the season on July 17.Â Â
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2021
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Joins USMNT Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Makes Midweek Road Trip to Columbus Crew - Nashville SC
- Rapids Seeking Undefeated 2021 against DallasÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Neville, Shawcross and Ulloa Hail Team Unity Ahead of Home Matches - Inter Miami CF
- RAVE Foundation, Puyallup Tribe of Indians and Tacoma Public Schools Announce Construction of Mini Pitch at Boze Elementary - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes LA Galaxy to Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Sporting Back Home Wednesday to Host San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Encourages Fans to Arrive Early for Midweek Match at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Inter Miami CF - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New England Revolution on WednesdayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Loan Forward Erik Sorga to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- D.C. United Recall Forward Jovanny Bolívar from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Travel North for Mid-Week Matchup against Toronto FC - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch: Argentina's Barco and Bravo Set for Tokyo Olympic Games - MLS
- Ayo Akinola Suffers ACL Injury - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Keys against Toronto: Pressure and Pass to Success
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest