Rapids Re-Sign Goalkeeper Steward Ceus
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Friday, January 4, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids announced on Friday that the club has re-signed goalkeeper Steward Ceus, who posted shutouts in his two MLS starts in 2012, to a new contract. The 25-year-old keeper joined the Rapids in 2009 and has also represented the Haitian National Team since 2010. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Stew has continued to improve as a player for the last several years, and proved at the end of the 2012 season that he is a capable goalkeeper in MLS," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "He is a hard worker and a great teammate, and we're pleased that he'll be returning to the Rapids in 2013."
"I'm excited to sign a new contract with the Rapids," said Ceus. "I've learned a lot over the last few years and I'm looking forward to the future here in Colorado."
Ceus made his MLS debut in 2012, entering the Rapids match on October 6 against San Jose for an injured Matt Pickens. He then started Colorado's final two games of the season, earning shutouts in 2-0 victories over Chivas USA and the Houston Dynamo. He also played in the May 29, 2012 win over the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the U.S. Open Cup, and five of the Rapids matches in the CONCACAF Champions League in 2011.
The Rapids' third round selection (37th overall) in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Albany, Ceus was a four-year starter for the Great Danes and posted 20 shutouts in 65 games (61 starts). As a senior, he posted a goals-against-average of 0.96 and was named America East Goalkeeper of the Year and a third team All-American. Ceus, whose parents were born and raised in Haiti, made his debut for the Haitian National Team in 2010 and has seven total appearances for the country.
The Rapids will start preseason on January 17, and are set to participate in the Desert Friendlies presented by Tucson FC and the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on February 15 as part of their preparations. To purchase season tickets for the Rapids' 2013 campaign, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 4, 2013
- Revolution's Road Match At Colorado Re-Scheduled - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Trade Joel Lindpere to Chicago Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Joel Lindpere - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Delegation to Visit Tanzania - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Re-Sign Goalkeeper Steward Ceus - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA Supporters Group, Union Ultras, Celebrates 'Dia De Reyes' with Toy Giveaway - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Announce Preseason Schedule - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Italian Midfielder Andrea Pisanu Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Terminate Contract for Midfielder Victor Palsson - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Sign Striker Yannick Boli
- Rapids Defender Kortne Ford out 8-10 Weeks with Sprained MCL
- Colorado Rapids Sign 2018 MLS SuperDraft Selection Niki Jackson
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Joe Mason on Loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Enzo Martinez from USL-Affiliate Charlotte Independence