Rancho Rolls to 4th Straight Win on Monday
Lancaster, CA - The Quakes battled windy and rainy conditions at The Hangar in Lancaster on Monday, but willed the offense to a 4-1 win over the JetHawks to extend their winning streak to a season-high four games.
Following a 23-minute delay to the start of the game due to rain, the JetHawks opened the scoring in the bottom of the second inning with an Alan Trejo RBI-groundout, scoring Vince Fernandez.
The Quakes would quickly respond and tie the game in the top of the third inning. Omar Estevez walked and came home to score on a fielding error in left field, stemming from a Jeren Kendall double.
Rancho gathered the lead with a two-run top of the fifth inning and would stay on top throughout the remainder of the game. Gavin Lux walked with one out and proceeded to score the go-ahead run on an Omar Estevez double to right-center field. With two outs in the inning, catcher Connor Wong drove home Estevez on an RBI single to extend the lead up to 3-1.
Ibandel Isabel added the fourth and final run for the Quakes in the sixth inning, scoring Donovan Casey on an RBI-double.
On the mound for the Quakes, right-hander Andrew Sopko fell just an out shy of recording his second win of the year. Sopko lasted 4.2 innings, limiting Lancaster's offense to one run on three hits while striking out six.
Out of the bullpen, Jason Richman (1-0) retired eight of ten hitters faced and picked up his first win of the season.
Ryan Moseley notched his first save of the year, recording a total of five outs over the final two frames.
Lancaster starting pitcher Matt Dennis (0-3) surrendered three runs over five innings to the Quakes and was hit with the loss.
With four straight wins, the Quakes (6-6) are now in a three-way tie for first place in the South Division with Lancaster and Inland Empire. On Tuesday, Rancho will send Jordan Sheffield (0-1) to the mound in game two of the series, while Lancaster will counter with right-hander Trey Killian (0-1). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 PM from The Hangar.
The Quakes will be back at Loan Mart Field on Thursday night for another Thirsty Thursday, with $2 Pepsi products, $3 domestic drafts and $4 premium drafts. Tickets are available by calling (909)-481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Inland Empire Downs Storm, Walsh's Homer Deluge Continues - Inland Empire 66ers
- Ports Strike Early and Hang on to Beat Nuts 6-3 - Modesto Nuts
- Ports Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 4th Straight Win on Monday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Outlast Visalia in 10, Win Fourth Straight - San Jose Giants
- Strong Start From Dennis In Defeat - Lancaster JetHawks
- Stranded Runners Haunt Rawhide in Extra-Innings Loss - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series