Rancho Equals Season-Best; Wins Fifth Straight
Rancho Cucamonga, CA - Jared Walker's RBI single broke a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning and the Quakes matched a season-best fifth straight win, with a come-from-behind 5-3 victory over the Inland Empire 66ers on Saturday night.
Over 4,300 fans enjoyed another late rally and post-game Fireworks, as Rancho improved to a Cal League best 8-2 in the second half.
After a Cristian Santana RBI groundout evened the game at 3-3 in the sixth, Walker came up with a clutch hit in the seventh, as he dropped a base hit into center field, scoring Connor Wong to give the Quakes the lead for good against Inland Empire reliever Matt Bower (0-1).
In the eighth, Omar Estevez plated a big insurance run, as his sac fly brought home Cristian Santana to make it 5-3.
That turned out to be enough for reliever Zach Pop, who got a double-play ball to end the eighth, then worked around a one-out single to keep the tying run at the plate, striking out Jordan Zimmerman to end the game and secure his sixth save of the year.
Rylan Bannon connected in the third against 66ers' starter Matt Ball, as his league-leading 19th homer of the year put Rancho on the board at 2-0.
The Sixers couldn't do anything against Rancho starter Dean Kremer over the first five innings, but broke through in the sixth, as they capitalized on an error to eventually score a pair of runs (one earned) and chase the right-hander with two outs. Jason Richman came on and allowed Kremer's two inherited runners to score along with one of his own, as the 66ers took a 3-2 lead.
Logan Salow (3-2) recorded four outs for the win for the Quakes.
On Sunday, Rancho (43-37, 8-2) will look for a sixth straight win, sending Isaac Anderson (2-5) to the mound against Inland Empire right-hander Simon Mathews (1-2) at 2:05pm.
The Quakes will become Los Temblores de Rancho Cucamonga for the third time this season on Sunday, as part of MILB's Copa de la Diversion, with Hispanic food, music and family fun throughout the day. The fun starts at 1:00pm and game time is 2:05pm. Kids will also run the bases after the game, thanks to Smile Generation. Tickets are available at rcquakes.com and by phone at 909-481-5000.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Matt Chapman Scheduled to Make Rehab Appearance in Stockton - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Blows out Inland Empire on Sunday, Wins Sixth Straight - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Five 'Hawks Hurlers Combine to Blank Ports - Lancaster JetHawks
- Rancho Equals Season-Best; Wins Fifth Straight - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Blanked by 'Hawks 4-0 - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Plate Eight Unearned Runs to Win 9-5 - Modesto Nuts
- Giants Earn Another 3-1 Win over Rawhide - San Jose Giants
- Vargas's Strong Night Not Enough - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series