Ramsays Back, Jacks Sign Rookie Goaltender Gelinas
After setting career highs in goals, assists and points last year, the Odessa Jackalopes announced today that forward Mike Ramsay will be back with the team for 2010-11. Rookie goaltender Marc-Antoine Gelinas will also join the club for the upcoming Central Hockey League campaign.
The 2010-11 season will be Ramsay's (RAM-zee) fourth in an Odessa uniform and his sixth overall as a professional. Last year the 25-year-old finished with 30 goals and 39 assists for 69 points. 17 of those goals came on man-advantage opportunities.
"I'm glad to be back," said Ramsay. "I've been fortunate to have a lot of success on the ice, and we keep getting closer to that goal of a championship. Off the ice the ownership and the organization is great. The fans are great. This should be a fun year for everyone."
Last season the Newmarket, Ontario, native put together two of the more memorable individual performances in franchise history. With less than eight minutes remaining in the third period, Ramsay scored the final three goals of a January 27th game at Rio Grande Valley to turn a 4-2 deficit into a 5-4 overtime win for the Jackalopes, recording the game-tying and game-winning goals in the process.
Ten days later, on February 6th, he scored a natural hat-trick in just over four minutes to erase a 2-0 hole against Colorado and spark a 9-4 Odessa win. Ramsay finished the year with seven multi-goal games, plus added five goals and three assists in 13 playoff contests.
"(Ramsay) has been a solid, all-around player for us the last couple seasons," added head coach Paul Gillis. "He can score goals, he plays in every situation, he worked on the power play and penalty kill for us, and he's a great teammate."
Ramsay has also spent time in the East Coast Hockey League and Europe. He played junior hockey in the Ontario and Quebec Major Junior Hockey Leagues.
Marc-Antoine Gelinas (AN-twon JEL-ih-nuh) will begin his pro career with the Jackalopes after a four-year career in the QMJHL. In 2009-10, the 5'10", 185-pound goaltender wrapped up his final season with a 30-15-0 record, 2.59 GAA and a .914 save percentage while splitting time with the St. John Sea Dogs and Shawnigan Cataractes.
Gelinas appeared in 181 total games during his QMJHL career.
Ramsay and Gelinas bring Odessa's total signings to 13 for the upcoming season.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season at Missouri on October 15, 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from August 3, 2010
- Brahmas Sign Rookie 'D' Kevin Kraus for 2010-11 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Ink Forward Chase Watson - Arizona Sundogs
- Catch up with Bucks' Ruskowski - Laredo Bucks
- Gems Sign Lutes - Dayton Gems
- Mallards Sign Kostadine - Quad City Mallards
- Presson Named Mallards President - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Open First CHL Season at Home - Quad City Mallards
- Levesque Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Welcome Back Trio - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Ink Dolgy, DeCroo - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Offer No Risk Season Tickets for 2010-11 - Quad City Mallards
- Ramsays Back, Jacks Sign Rookie Goaltender Gelinas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Sign NHL Prospect Edmondson - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.