RailRiders Rally with Ninth-Inning Homers
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Two home runs in the ninth inning propelled the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders to a come-from-behind 3-1 win over the Syracuse Mets on Thursday night at NBT Bank Stadium.
The contest was a classic pitcher's duel as Brody Koerner and Syracuse's Josh Walker both turned in terrific performances. Koerner scattered seven hits, all singles, in 6.1 shutout innings. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
It was another in a string of strong outings for the right-hander, who is now working on a 15.1-inning scoreless streak across his last four appearances. His ERA dropped to a team-leading 2.95 on the season, the best mark among qualified pitchers in Triple-A East.
However, he did not leave in line for a victory as Walker took a no-hitter into the eighth inning, seeing it spoiled on a one-out single by Donny Sands. In 8.0 innings of work, that was the only hit the left-hander allowed, though he walked two and struck out six.
In the bottom of the eighth, Syracuse got on the board against Stephen Ridings. Drew Jackson led off the frame with a single, stole second base and scored on an Albert Almora single to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
The RailRiders wasted no time in striking even as Matt Pita swung at the first pitch of the top of the ninth inning and launched a Geoff Hartleib (1-2) offering over the left field wall for a game-tying home run. It was Pita's third home run in as many days, and his fourth with the RailRiders this season.
After a walk to Cristian Perez, Thomas Milone demolished a two-run home run over the SWB bullpen in right field to give the RailRiders a 3-1 lead. Ridings (1-0) set the Mets down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth to finish off the stunning win.
POSTGAME NOTES: The game took two hours and 19 minutes to play, the second-shortest nine-inning game of the year played by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (2:14, 7/21 vs. Rochester)... After issuing a franchise record-tying 16 walks last night Koerner, Nick Green and Ridings did not issue a single walk on Thursday... The RailRiders have now won eight games in their last at-bat this season, with five of those wins coming against the Mets, including each of the last two nights.
The RailRiders continue their series with the Mets on Thursday at NBT Bank Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m., with pregame coverage beginning at 6:15 on the RailRiders Baseball Network.
SWB returns home to PNC Field on Tuesday, August 3 to begin a series with the Worcester Red Sox. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 29, 2021
- Indians Lose in Walk-Off Fashion, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Iowa Shuts out Louisville in 2-0 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Bases Loaded Walk in 10th Provides Saints with 3-2 Walk-Off Win - St. Paul Saints
- Sounds Power Past Clippers at First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Barrage Leads to Another Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Rodriguez Homer Not Enough in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Jacksonville Splits Doubleheader with Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Castellano's Grand Slam Highlights Five-Run Fifth in Omaha Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Herrera Homers Bisons to DH Split in Worchester - Buffalo Bisons
- WooSox and Bisons Split Offense-Filled Doubleheader - Worcester Red Sox
- Josh Walker Takes No-Hitter to Eighth, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 3-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Rally with Ninth-Inning Homers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-38) at St. Paul Saints (39-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- July 29 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Louisville - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 29, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Ripken, Neustrom Continue Hot Streaks, But Tides Fall 8-2 Thursday - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Blast Tides 8-2, Earn 50th Victory of 2021 - Durham Bulls
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights August 3-8 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 29, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Duel of the Dishes Set for August 5 - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings, 'Pigs Postponed Thursday; Doubleheader Set for Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings, IronPigs Postponed Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Refsnyder Homers, Hands Indy 10-5 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Pratto's Slam, Olivares' Ninth-Inning Homer, Help Chasers Out-Slug Mud Hens - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Hens Drop Wild Back-And-Forth Game to Chasers - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Games Postponed
- RailRiders Suspended
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 22, 2021
- Taillon Commences MLB Rehab with RailRiders
- Homers That Help Campaign During the Final Stretch