Raiders Drop Shootout To Tigers
Prince Albert, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders (11-11-5-2) earned another point on Wednesday night, but they couldn't get the second in a 5-4 shootout loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers (17-11-1-0) at the Art Hauser Centre.
The Raiders have now earned at least a point in six of the last seven games, but have only won two of those contests.
Medicine Hat took a 1-0 lead late in the first period. Ryan Jevne beat Ian Scott with 3:38 remaining in the frame for this 10th goal of the season to give the Tigers the advantage.
In the second, Jordy Stallard scored his 20th goal of the season midway through the period on a power play. Cole Fonstad and Vojtech Budik assisted on the goal. Five minutes later, Mark Rassell chipped a rebound past Scott for his 26th goal of the campaign, restoring the Tigers' one-goal lead. Less than two minutes later however, Stallard struck for the second time in the game to level the score at 2-2. With just 22.7 seconds left in the middle frame, Budik's point shot got through traffic and Tigers goaltender Jordan Hollett to make it a 3-2 game after two, giving the Czech import his second goal of the year.
The Tigers re-tied the game early in the third. David Quenneville's blast from the point found the back of the net for his 10th goal of the season. Five minutes later, Rassell solved Scott for the second time on the evening to put Medicine Hat up 4-3.
With 6:58 to play, rookie Eric Pearce scored his second goal of the year by deflecting Austin Crossley's point shot past Hollett, tying the game 4-4 and sending it to overtime.
In the overtime period, Curtis Miske and Parker Kelly both had great chances to end the game, but Hollett turned them aside.
Hollett continued to deny the Raiders in the shootout, stopping both Stallard and Miske. Rassell and Max Gerlach scored in the shootout to give the Tigers the win.
Scott made 33 saves in a losing effort for the Raiders. Hollett made 49 saves for the Tigers.
The Raiders are back in action on Friday night for the Canadian Tire Teddy Bear Toss against the Kamloops Blazers (13-15-0-0). Fans are asked to bring their teddy bears in a plastic bag in order to give as many bears to the Victoria Regional Hospital and the Salvation Army.
Puck drop for Friday night's game is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at raiderhockey.com, the Raider Office, or by calling 306-764-5348.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2017
- Raiders Drop Shootout To Tigers - Prince Albert Raiders
- Recap: Regina Pats (4) vs Brandon Wheat Kings (7) - Regina Pats
- CHL Announces Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Prince George Cougars Cholowski Invited to World Junior Selection Camp - Prince George Cougars
- HITMEN DEFENCEMAN JAKE BEAN INVITED TO CANADA'S NATIONAL JUNIOR TEAM SPORT CHEK SELECTION CAMP - Calgary Hitmen
- Sam Steel and Josh Mahura to attend World Junior Selection Camp - Regina Pats
- Raiders Take Point From Swift Current In OT Loss - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings Sign Pelletier - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Carter Hart Named Back-To-Back Recipient for Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week Award - Everett Silvertips
- Yamamoto Headed to Team USA's Wjc Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Silvertips' Hart Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.