Rachel Buehler To Deliver Ceremonial First Kick at Season Opener
The San Diego Sockers announced their plans for Saturday's season opening festivities prior to their 7:05 kickoff against the Sacramento Surge at the Valley View Casino Center. Highlighting the pregame activities will be a ceremonial first kick delivered by U.S. Women's National Team star defender Rachel Buehler.
"I'm really excited to be able to come to the game," said Buehler, a Torrey Pines High graduate who went on to star at Stanford before winning a pair of Olympic gold medals with the USWNT, "The Sockers have been such a San Diego institution and they've been doing so well it's exciting for me to be a part of that. As a native growing up in Del Mar I've always been a fan of the team and it's great that they want me to be there."
In addition to her 93 caps with the USWNT, Buehler has played professional outdoor soccer with the San Diego Sea Lions and most recently with the Atlanta Beat. During her offseason, Buehler has trained on occasion with the Sockers as they prepared for their upcoming campaign.
"It's been great. The guys on the team have been so gracious to let me train with them and jump in with them on pickup games," said Buehler, "It's very challenging for me but it's a great environment to help me train. It's really humbling to play with these guys, they're so good, I see how they are on the ball, how technical, the 1-2 combinations...it's a great workout and I always leave fired up."
In addition to Buehler's pregame appearance on the field, the Sockers will unveil their 13th championship banner, honoring the 24-0 PASL and US Open champion Sockers squad from 2011-12. Vicky Henry, lead singer for "Lady V And The Killer Bees", will sing the national anthem.
The Sockers open the 2012-2013 season on Saturday, November 3rd at 7:05pm when they host the Sacramento Surge at the Valley View Casino Center (former Sports Arena). Tickets, including season and single-game tickets, are available by calling (866) 799-GOAL, or by visiting www.sdsockers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from October 30, 2012
- Rachel Buehler To Deliver Ceremonial First Kick at Season Opener - San Diego Sockers
- Heat Announce CASA as First-Ever Member of Heat Youth Soccer Partnership Program - Harrisburg Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Chris Toth Named MASL Goalkeeper of the Year for Second Consecutive Season
- San Diego's Season Ends with 6-4 Loss to Monterrey in Conference Final
- Western Conference Final Match Preview - San Diego vs. Monterrey
- Toth Named as All-MASL First Team Goalkeeper
- Chiles and Sosa Named to All-MASL Second Team; Pardo Makes Third Team