Quakes Take Down Garrett Richards on Rehab, Win 4th Straight
Rancho Cucamonga, CA - A seven-run inning highlighted the night for the Quakes offense as a sell-out crowd witnessed Rancho roll to their fourth straight win, an 8-4 victory over the 66ers in Friday night's series opener.
Angels' starting pitcher Garrett Richards joined Inland Empire on major league rehab assignment and was knocked around in the front end of Rancho's rally.
Trailing 2-1 in the fourth, Logan Landon opened with an RBI single to tie the game and Hamlet Marte followed with a three-run homer to put Rancho on top 5-2. Mark Brakeman relieved Richards midway through the inning and Cody Thomas took him deep with a three-run shot, stretching to an 8-2 lead.
In total, Richards (0-1) allowed five earned runs, also surrendering a solo homer to Rylan Bannon in the third to put the Quakes on the board.
On the mound for the Quakes, Tony Gonsolin tossed four innings and tied a career-high with nine strikeouts in a no-decision. Ryan Moseley, Nolan Long and Jason Richman covered the remainder of the game out of the bullpen and continued to rack up the strikeouts, as Rancho punched out a season-high 19 batters.
Long (4-0) was handed the win after allowing one run over 2.1 innings of work.
Following the win, the Quakes remain atop the South division with a 7-2 record over the second half of play.
The Quakes continue the five-game series on Saturday with RHP Dean Kremer scheduled to start. Kremer (5-3) will be opposed by Matt Ball (1-1) of Inland Empire. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
The first 1,500 fans in attendance on Saturday will receive a Quakes hat and all fans will get to enjoy a post game fireworks show all thanks to U.S. Bank. Tickets are available online at rcquakes.com or by calling (909) 481-5000.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 30, 2018
- Ports Trail Early, Rally for 9-7 Win - Stockton Ports
- Quakes Take Down Garrett Richards on Rehab, Win 4th Straight - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Three Arms Lead Way to 3-1 Win - Modesto Nuts
- 'Hawks Take Big Lead in First, Can't Hang On - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series