Quakes Set New Franchise Record with 12th Straight Win
San Jose, CA - On Saturday night, the Quakes established a new franchise record, winning their 12th straight game, as they blew out the San Jose Giants by a final of 14-6 at Municipal Stadium.
Rancho matched season-bests in runs scored and hits (18), as well as margin of victory, and is now one win away from sweeping a second straight five-game series.
Dustin May worked seven strong innings, but was a bit overshadowed by the offense which put up some gaudy numbers, including an eight-run fifth to break it open.
Omar Estevez put the Quakes on the board as part of a four-run third, as his two-run single off of Giants' starter DJ Myers (3-3) made it 2-0.
Trailing 4-0 in the fifth, San Jose made a pitching change, bringing Frank Rubio into the game. The first nine Quakes would all reach safely against Rubio, as Rancho tallied eight run to completely put the game out of reach. Cristian Santana completed a three-RBI day with a two-run double, making it 6-0. Jared Walker, who finished with five RBIs, later ripped a three-run double to make it a 9-0 game. Rylan Bannon and Cody Thomas also added RBI hits as part of the eight-run inning, making it a 12-0 game.
After sitting for 27 minutes during the top half of the frame, May was a little slow to get going in the last of the fifth, as the Giants scored two to get on the board at 12-2.
May (5-3) would settle in though, giving Rancho seven full innings, while allowing just two runs on six hits, with five strikeouts in earning the win.
Walker struck again in the eighth, as his two-run double capped the Rancho scoring at 14-2.
San Jose did some late damage against new Quakes' reliever Orlandy Navarro, as he surrendered a two-run blast to Jacob Heyward in the eighth and a two-run shot to Brandon Van Horn in the ninth, finishing out the scoring at 14-6.
With the win, Rancho has now won 12 in a row overall and seven straight road games to move to a season-best 13 games over .500 at 50-37 overall, including 15-2 in the second half.
Looking for the five-game sweep on Sunday, the Quakes will send Parker Curry (5-1) to the hill, while the Giants, losers of seven straight overall, will go with Raffi Vizcaino (5-5), with first pitch scheduled for 5:00pm.
The Quakes return to LoanMart Field on Monday, July 9th, as they face the Lancaster JetHawks. Game time on Monday is 7:05pm. Tickets are available by calling (909) 481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 7, 2018
- Stockton Bats Quiet in 5-1 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Suffer Fourth Straight Defeat - Modesto Nuts
- Basabe Tallies Two Hits in Storm Rout - Visalia Rawhide
- JetHawks Win Fourth in a Row over Nuts - Lancaster JetHawks
- Quakes Set New Franchise Record with 12th Straight Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Quakes Rout Giants, Losing Streak at Seven - San Jose Giants
- 66ers' Big Ninth Sinks Ports 7-6 - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Unable to Hang on in 6-5 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Storm Rage Back to Defeat Rawhide - Visalia Rawhide
- Offensive Woes Continue in 4-0 Loss - San Jose Giants
- Quakes Just Keep on Winning...11 Straight, Shut out Giants - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nevin's Homer Caps Off Comeback Friday - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.