Pucetas Wins 15th Game of Season
Greenville, SC - The GreenJackets (50-20, 34-25) won their third straight game on the road with a 6-2 win over the Greenville Drive (29-40, 25-32) on Wednesday night. Starter Kevin Pucetas recorded his 15th win of the season and Augusta used a five run second inning to cruise past the Drive.
Pucetas (15-3) worked six innings and allowed one run on seven hits while walking two and striking out five.
The one run Pucetas allowed came in the third inning with Augusta already leading 5-0. Reid Engel connected for an RBI single scoring Kris Negron.
The GreenJackets did all of their damage in the second inning and the frame began with the first eight batters reaching base as Augusta plated five runs on three hits and were helped out by two errors. Brett Pill led off the half inning with his eighth home run of the season, a solo home run over the "Green Monster" in left field for a 1-0 lead.
After Ryan Rohlinger doubled Matt Weston followed with an RBI single to put Augusta up 2-0. Henry Gutierrez was then hit by a pitch and Mike McBryde followed with a ground ball to short that Negron booted for the first error of the frame allowing Weston to score.
Juan Jean walked then Brad Boyer hit a ball to second where Drive second baseman Chih-Hsien Chiang fielded the ball to Negron and again he booted the ball for his second error of the half inning, allowing Gutierrez to score for a 4-0 lead. Joey Dyche then walked with the bases loaded to force in the final run and chase Drive starter Daniel Bard.
The closest Greenville would get to Augusta was in the seventh inning when Negron scored on an RBI single from Aaron Reza to trim the lead to 5-2.
Augusta got the run back though the ninth inning on a two-out RBI single from Jean for a 6-2 lead.
The GreenJackets and Drive finish their short three game series on Thursday night with Augusta sending lefty Clayton Tanner (12-7, 2.98) to the hill looking for the sweep. Greenville will counter with right-hander Joseph Guerra (1-0, 3.77). First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2007
- Suns Fall to Shorebirds, 4-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Can't End Snide Versus Jackets, Lose 6-2 - Greenville Drive
- Intimidators Homer Their Way to First Win over Tourists in 11 Games - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Cousins Hits Three Homers, Drives in Nine in Greesboro Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Legends Ruin Power Comeback - West Virginia Power
- Pucetas Wins 15th Game of Season - Augusta GreenJackets
- Nine-Run Second Lifts 'Claws - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Gnats Drop Fifth Straight - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Legends Rebound For 5-3 Win - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Throw Back Catfish, 6-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Double Up Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- GreenJackets Game Notes - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bascom Dominates Hagerstown, 'Birds Win 8-1 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- LaPorta homers twice in Power win - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.