Public Statement from the Victoria HarbourCats
VICTORIA, B.C. - In this time of difficulty and challenge, it's important to have a strong community stance in support of those who need it most.
The recent racism directed at the Cowichan Tribes people -- it is a case of ugliness and hate that cannot be permitted to remain part of our communities, and it underscores the racism our First Nations communities continue to face. The Victoria HarbourCats baseball organization, and partners Red Arrow Brewing Co. of Duncan, who are close neighbours of the Cowichan Tribes, are standing together against the open bigotry that has arisen during this phase of the pandemic, through direct hurtful actions, through on-line posts, and through other tangible, improper manners. It underscores a need for us all to put hate aside, to remove racism, and to act as one community.
Let's challenge ourselves to be better than this, every day.
The HarbourCats and Red Arrow pass along our deepest condolences in the passing of one person from Cowichan Tribes as well, due to causes related to Covid-19.
The HarbourCats and Red Arrow have reached out directly to Cowichan Tribes to show united support, and to extend an offer to the 5,100 members of Cowichan Tribes -- when we get the go-ahead to return to the field, we will dedicate a weekend series to Cowichan Tribes, and provide free tickets to every member who wants to take in a game. It is the least we can do to bring a ray of sunshine in this challenging, unprecedented time.
Let's all, as a community, stand with Cowichan Tribes.
On behalf of the organizations --
Jim Swanson, Victoria HarbourCats
Lance Steward, Red Arrow Brewing Co.
• Discuss this story on the West Coast League message board...
West Coast League Stories from January 28, 2021
- Public Statement from the Victoria HarbourCats - Victoria HabourCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria HabourCats Stories
- Déjà Vu All over Again - Pandemic Forces Cancellation of HarbourCats, NightOwls 2021 Schedules
- HarbourCats 2021 Single-Game Tickets Available for Purchase Tuesday, March 16th
- Another Canadian JNT Player Signs with HarbourCats
- HarbourCats and NightOwls to Join Other West Coast League Teams in the Dugout
- Seven Former HarbourCats to Participate in 2021 MLB Spring Training Camps