Preview: Orlando City Hosts La Galaxy on Friday
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (4-6-3, 15 points) closes out a two-game home stint when it hosts the LA Galaxy (7-5-1, 22 points) on Friday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at Orlando City Stadium.
The match will be televised on Univision Deportes and will also be available to stream on Twitter in English. It will also be broadcast on FM 96.9 The Game in English and La Nueva 990 AM in Spanish.
"We're all very pleased with the match against Cincinnati," Head Coach James O'Connor said. "For us now again, it's about being intentional about making sure training is right. We have to focus on [LA] Galaxy now because they're obviously a very good team and it'll be a tough game."
The Lions enter Friday's contest fresh off a 5-1 rout of FC Cincinnati this past Sunday. Darren Mattocks gave the visitors the lead in the 24th minute, but the Lions responded with five goals of their own to take all three points. Tesho Akindele opened the scoring for the Lions in the 37th minute, followed by back-to-back goals from Nani in the 50th and 59th minutes respectively. Akindele secured a brace of his own when he added another in the 64th, while Dom Dwyer capped off the afternoon with is fourth goal of 2019 in the 82nd.
Nani's brace on Sunday extended his team-lead to seven goals this season, which also ties him for third in the league with four other players. Akindele is tied for second on the squad in goals scored with four in 2019.
The Galaxy travel to Orlando after a 1-0 loss at home to Colorado Rapids this past Sunday. Andre Shinyashiki scored the lone goal of the match in the 82nd minute, giving the Rapids their first win of 2019 and the Galaxy their fourth-consecutive loss.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic leads the Galaxy with nine goals this season, but will be unavailable for Friday's match due to suspension. Dwyer will also be unavailable, serving a one-game suspension for yellow-card accumulation.
Following Friday's match, the Lions will head out on the road as they travel to Montreal to face the Impact on Saturday, June 1 at Stade Saputo.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 23, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 23, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Looks to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Seven on Friday Night against Montreal Impact - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Visits Los Angeles FC Friday Night - Montreal Impact
- Eight Houston Dynamo Players Available for Fans to Vote for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - Houston Dynamo
- Eight LAFC Players Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Ballot - Los Angeles FC
- Eight Real Salt Lake Players on 2019 MLS All-Star Ballot - Real Salt Lake
- Eight Impact Players Nominated for the 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Montreal Impact
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - MLS
- Minnesota United Announces Long-Term Partnership with National Sports Center - Minnesota United FC
- Eight FC Dallas Player Available for Fans to Vote for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Defending MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United FC Friday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, Lansing Ignite FC Form Alliance - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Real Salt Lake - Atlanta United FC
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts La Galaxy on Friday - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: GPG vs. Galaxy - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Latin Music Superstar Prince Royce to Headline MLS All-Star Concert Presented by Target
- Orlando City to Host New England in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- Orlando City Advances to U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 with 3-1 Win at Memphis
- Orlando City SC Loans Josue Colman to Cerro Porteno
- By the Numbers: Open Cup 2019