Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego ValeriVoted MLS Player of the Week
September 21, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 12th week of the 2020 MLS season.
Valeri powered Portland to a dominant 6-1 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday behind two goals and an assist, the ninth regular season multi-goal performance of his MLS career. Valeri now has six goals and five assists in the 2020 regular season, each mark tied for sixth-most in the league, while his combined 11 goals and assists are tied for fifth-most. Portland is tied for fourth in the Western Conference standings with 18 points (5-4-3 overall record).
Portland took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute when Valeri finished a penalty kick with a right-footed shot to the bottom left corner. Valeri then scored his second goal of the match in the 57th minute to give Portland a 2-1 advantage. Diego Chara sent a pass to the top of the box, as Valeri found the ball and fired a right-footed shot that pinged off a pair of San Jose defenders into the back of the net.
The Argentine then registered an assist in the 85th minute to increase Portland's lead to 5-1 when he sent a perfectly placed corner kick into the box where Julio Cascante finished with a header.
Portland continues action this week on Wednesday when hosting Seattle Sounders FC (10 p.m. ET, ESPN+), before facing Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at Providence Park (10 p.m. ET, ESPN+ / TSN2).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 21, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Announces Theme Nights for Remaining Home Matches in September - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego ValeriVoted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: Keys to the Match: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- By the Numbers: Aiming for a New Club Record - Orlando City SC
- Lions Continue to Climb the Table - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Undeterred After Loss to Eastern Conference Leaders Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo Transfer Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Lion's Share Hospitality to bring Exciting Food and Beverage Options to FC Cincinnati Fans - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.