Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher
KINSTON, NC - Jonathan Hernandez turned in a stellar performance on the mound as the offense came alive late in a 4-2 Wood Ducks (22-17) victory over the Mudcats (18-21). The right-hander struck out a career-high 11 batters while only allowing five hits on the night. His offense supported him with ten hits, including three from Leody Taveras in the win.
Hernandez nearly started the game with an immaculate inning (nine pitches, nine strikes and three strikeouts) but the inning ended with an 0-2 fly out to left. The Dominican struck out six of his first 14 batters, only allowing two infield hits against him.
He would collect at least one strikeout in each of his six innings of work despite a no decision. He exited the game tied at two runs apiece.
Offensively, the Woodies were trailing 1-0 in the fifth when Eric Jenkins sparked a two-out rally with an RBI triple to right-center. Next, Taveras would follow with an RBI double on a screaming line drive off of the wall in center. The Woodies led 2-1, but would later face a tied game in the seventh.
Anthony Gose, debuting as a DH in 2018, reached on a single to lead off the frame. He was bunted to second by Matt Whatley and would score on a Leody Taveras single to left - while batting right-handed. For Taveras, Wednesday was his first three-hit game of the season for the Woodies.
The bullpen effort of Kaleb Fontenot and Jacob Lemoine combined to only allow one baserunner over the final three innings as they received the win and the save respectively. Chuck Leblanc added an insurance run in the eighth on a single to push his league-leading RBI total to 34.
Down East also moved up a game in the first-half race as they are in second place and only one game back of the Buies Creek Astros. The Wood Ducks will go for the sweep on Thursday with right-hander Michael Matuella on the mound at 7:00 p.m. against lefty Nathan Kirby.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Myrtle Beach Nipped 3-1 in Rubber Match - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Thursday's Game at Buies Creek Postponed - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wells Earns First Carolina League Win - Frederick Keys
- Two Wood Ducks Earn Rangers' Recognition for April Performances - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Set to Host Scavenger Hunt Night on Thursday, May 24th - Potomac Nationals
- Sox, P-Nats Swept by Rain - Salem Red Sox
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 17 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Potomac and Salem Washed out on Thursday - Potomac Nationals
- NBC Sports Chicago to Televise Seven Dash Games - Winston-Salem Dash
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Down East Wood Ducks to be Part of "Copa de la Diversion" in 2019
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2019 Schedule
- Anderson Tejeda Named Carolina League Year-End All-Star
- Former Wood Duck C.D. Pelham Called up to the Rangers
- Wood Ducks Drop Season Finale to the Dash