Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss
In the final game of the 2018 season, the Bristol Pirates fell short in extra innings as they lost 6-4 to the Danville Braves.
With the loss, the Pirates finish the season with a 31-37 record to tie with the Johnson City Cardinals for third place in the Appalachian League West Division. Bristol finished with 30 wins for the first time since 2010, when the Bristol White Sox finished with a 32-36 record.
The Pirates started off the night by taking a 3-0 lead on a single from Mason Martin, a triple from Brendt Citta and a double from Patrick Dorrian. The final run of the night for Bristol would not come until the bottom of the 10th inning when Yondry Contreras grounded into a double play that scored Jeremias Portorreal from third.
Coming off a three-game suspension, Denny Roman allowed one run on four hits and two walks while striking out five over 3 2/3 innings in his fourth start with Bristol. Yeudry Manzanillo threw 2 1/3 scoreless innings, while Jacob Webb and Yerry De Los Santos combined to allow two runs on three hits with three strikeouts over three innings. Luis Nova earned his second loss of the season after allowing three runs - one earned - on two hits in one inning of work.
Contreras was the only Bristol player with multiple hits, finishing 2-for-3 with a walk. Francisco Mepris went 0-for-4 with a walk and two steals, as he became the first Bristol player with 15 stolen bases in a season since Ryan Lee stole 17 in 2009.
The Bristol Pirates will return to Boyce Cox Field in June 2019 for their sixth season as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Cardinals Go out on Top with Win in Season Finale - Johnson City Cardinals
- Yankees Announce Front Office Changes, Name Betsy Haugh New General Manager - Pulaski Yankees
- Minor League Baseball and Uncle Ray's Announce Multi-Year Extension - ApL
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates Announce 2019 Field Staff
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss