Pirates Take down Pulaski 6-4
The Bristol Pirates evened their series with the Pulaski Yankees with a 6-4 win thanks to two career- best performances.
Making his fifth start of the season, Steven Jennings earned his first career win with a five-inning effort against the Yankees. Jennings allowed three runs on four hits and three walks while striking out a career-high nine batters. Vince Deyzel and Will Gardner combined to allow one unearned run on three walks while striking out five over the final four innings. Deyzel earned his first hold of the year, while Gardner picked up his third save.
Jonah Davis provided nearly all the offense for the Pirates, finishing 2-for-3 with a double, a home run, a stolen base and a career-high five RBI. Davis' leadoff home run to start the game was his sixth of the season, moving him into first place on the team and into a three-way tie for second in the Appalachian League behind Princeton Rays outfielder Jordan Qsar with seven. Sherten Apostel was the only other Pirate with an RBI, driving in Mason Martin on a double in the first inning. Eddy Vizcaino had the team's only other multi-hit performance, finishing 2-for-4 with a stolen base and a run scored.
The Pirates (11-10) will face the Yankees tomorrow night for the third game of the four-game series in Pulaski. Shane Baz will get the start for Bristol, as he comes off a nine-strikeout performance in his last start against the Princeton Rays. Baz is 2-0 with a 3.79 ERA over four starts this year, with 20 strikeouts to 10 walks over 19 innings pitched.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Big Third Inning Helps D-Braves over Burlington - Danville Braves
- Pirates Take down Pulaski 6-4 - Bristol Pirates
- Butto and Nunez Pitch K-Mets to Camp Day Win - Kingsport Mets
- Twins Outrun Cardinals, Take Opener 15-1 - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss
- Another Strong Pitching Performance Lifts Pirates