Pirates Fall in Road Trip Opener
The Bristol Pirates dropped the first game of a seven-game road trip on Tuesday night with an 11-2 loss to the Pulaski Yankees.
Making his first career start, 2018 19th round draft pick Will Kobos allowed five runs -- four earned -- on four hits and two walks while striking out three over two innings to earn his first career loss. Undrafted free agent Allen Montgomery made his professional debut in the loss, allowing only one hit with two strikeouts over 1 1/3 scoreless innings.
Chase Lambert led the Pirates on offense, finishing 2-for-3 with a walk. Jeremias Portorreal and Mikell Granberry drove in the only runs of the game for Bristol, with Portorreal driving in Gabriel Brito on a groundout and Granberry driving in Yondry Contreras on a two-out double.
With two runs scored in the eighth inning, the Pirates have now scored in 30 consecutive games dating back to August 22, 2017. This is the longest streak between shutouts for Bristol since they went 41 straight games without being shutout from August 25, 2010 to July 26, 2011.
The Pirates (10-10) will send Steven Jennings out to the mound Wednesday night as they look to even the series with the Yankees. Jennings is 0-2 with a 4.86 ERA over his first four starts this season, with 11 strikeouts and eight walks over 16 2/3 innings.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 10, 2018
- Pirates Fall in Road Trip Opener - Bristol Pirates
- Big Innings Lead D-Braves over Burlington - Danville Braves
- Romero's Walk-Off Ends Thriller - Kingsport Mets
- D-Braves Host Burlington Royals for Four-Game Series - Danville Braves
- Jarred Kelenic Promoted To Kingsport Mets - Kingsport Mets
- Twins Blank Danville 2-0 - Elizabethton Twins
- Cardinals Win Finale and Series against Pulaski - Johnson City Cardinals
- Pirates Take Series vs. Princeton - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss
- Another Strong Pitching Performance Lifts Pirates