Pirates Bow to Big Pulaski Eighth
A four-run eighth inning sealed the loss for the Bristol Pirates on Thursday night, as they fell to the Pulaski Yankees 8-2.
Shane Baz earned his first loss of the season after allowing four runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out six over five innings. Thursday's loss was the fourth consecutive start for Baz with five or more strikeouts, and it was the third straight start with at least five innings pitched.
Three days after being assigned to the Pirates, 2018 undrafted free agent John O'Reilly made his Bristol debut, throwing two scoreless innings with one strikeout while allowing only one hit and two walks. It was his longest appearance this season, and his swinging strikeout to end the seventh inning was his first career strikeout.
Austin Shields' recent struggles continued Thursday, as he was credited with allowing all four runs during the Yankees' eighth inning outburst. It was the second appearance in a row for Shields where he allowed four runs and pitched less than one inning, and it was his third such appearance this season.
Conner Uselton was the only Pirate with two hits, and his third-inning RBI single was the last run Bristol would score in the game. Eddy Vizcaino was the only other Pirate with an RBI, driving in Sherten Apostel on a force out in the second inning.
The Pirates (11-11) will try to come away with a series split tomorrow night with Oliver Garcia set to take the mound against Pulaski. Bristol has lost three straight road series against Pulaski, with their last series split at Calfee Park coming in 2014. Bristol has not won a road series in Pulaski since 2005. Friday's series finale will also be the 100th game between Bristol and Pulaski since 2005. Bristol has a 39-60 record against Pulaski, and are now 17-33 at Calfee Park over that span.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Smith's Timely Homerun Lifts D-Braves to Series Win - Danville Braves
- Pirates Bow to Big Pulaski Eighth - Bristol Pirates
- Late Runs Give Twins 7-2 Win over Johnson City - Johnson City Cardinals
- Greeneville Knocks off K-Mets 5-4 - Kingsport Mets
- Late Push by Johnson City Not Enough, Cardinals Fall to Yankees - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program
- Pirates Wrap Season with Extra-Innings Loss
- Another Strong Pitching Performance Lifts Pirates