Phoenix Rising Signs Defender Niall Dunn to Professional Contract
PHOENIX, Arizona - Phoenix Rising FC has signed 16-yard-old defender Niall Dunn to a professional contract, the club announced today.
The Phoenix youth product previously signed a USL Academy contract with Rising on Monday, April 26. While the USL Academy contract initially signed by Dunn preserved his college eligibility, the progress he made in recent months, training with and learning from professionals, made it clear to the Rising coaching staff the defender had a more-immediate future in the professional game.
"Coming in and training every day with the pro team and getting games with the academy, I was able to gain confidence and feel like I belonged," said Dunn. "Towards the end of preseason, after I had played a few games against MLS teams, everyone became more accepting of me. That is when I knew this was the right place for me. That I'd be able to adapt to the professional level."
Dunn joined Phoenix Rising's youth ranks in 2014 and worked his way up to the academy level in 2020. He began training with Rising's first team in early March. After holding his own in several matches against MLS competition this preseason, Dunn signed the USL Academy contract in April. Rising has signed seven youth players to USL Academy contracts. Dunn is the first to make the leap to sign a professional contract.
"As soon as he signed the academy contract, he sat down with our strength and conditioning coach Sean Buckley," said Rising head coach Rick Schantz. "Niall's working hard to be the best he can be. He is learning from guys like Solo [Asante], Joe [Farrell] and [Kevon] Lambert, listening to the coaches and watching film - everything he can do to become a pro.
"This is only the second step. He knows he has a long way to go but I hope to one day see him competing for the U.S. National Team. I've always believed Arizona was loaded with talented players. It has been a hidden gem for a number of reasons, but number one was we never had a high-level professional club. There's a long list of players that have played for the national team or for professional teams and done very well. Now, for players to be recognized at a much earlier age and potentially play professionally here in their home town, I hope we're creating more dreams and goals for young kids. That's what it's all about. They have to aspire to do something. We hope playing for Phoenix Rising becomes one of them."
"The difference for me has been the constant work and competition," said Dunn. "It's a whole different environment that I'm starting to love. My goal now is to continue working and hopefully get some playing time with the First Team this season."
Name: Niall Dunn
DOB: October 18, 2004 (16)
High School: Hamilton
Born: Scottsdale, Arizona
Hometown: Chandler, Arizona
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 29, 2021
- Match Preview: Tacoma Defiance vs. San Diego Loyal SC - July 29, 2021 - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising FC to Honor Front-Line Workers at Halftime of Saturday's Match - Phoenix Rising FC
- Kibunguchy Header Wins Fans' Choice Goal of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Extends Seven USL Academy Contracts, Prepares Nine Players for Collegiate Soccer - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Republic FC V New York Red Bulls II - Sacramento Republic FC
- What to Watch Around the USL: Week 15 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Signs Defender Niall Dunn to Professional Contract - Phoenix Rising FC
- 3 Things: #PITvHFD - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- New Mexico United and Meow Wolf Announce Meow Wolf Night - New Mexico United
- New Mexico United Announces the Signing of Afghan International Defender David Najem - New Mexico United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.