Phoenix Mercury Announces 2018 Opening Night Roster
PHOENIX - The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury today announced its 11-player opening night roster for the 2018 season in advance of Fry's Food Stores Opening Night against the Dallas Wings tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. WNBA all-time leading scorer Diana Taurasi and 2017 WNBA scoring champion Brittney Griner are re-joined by two-time WNBA champion DeWanna Bonner, as well as offseason additions Briann January, a six-time WNBA All-Defensive Team selection and former WNBA All-Star and Champion, and four-time WNBA All-Defensive Team selection and 2009 WNBA All-Star Sancho Lyttle.
No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate Exp From/Year
24 DeWanna Bonner F 6-4 143 08/21/1987 8 Auburn/2009
42 Brittney Griner C 6-9 205 10/18/1990 5 Baylor/2013
21 Marie Gulich C 6-5 199 05/28/1994 R Oregon State/2018
12 Briann January G 5-8 144 01/11/1987 9 Arizona State/2009
20 Camille Little F 6-2 180 01/18/1985 11 North Carolina/2007
31 Sancho Lyttle F 6-5 175 09/20/1983 13 Houston/2005
5 Leilani Mitchell G 5-5 138 06/15/1985 9 Utah/2008
8 Stephanie Talbot F 6-2 192 06/15/1994 1 Australia
3 Diana Taurasi G 6-0 163 06/11/1982 13 Connecticut/2004
6 Yvonne Turner G 5-10 131 10/13/1987 1 Nebraska/2010
1 Imani Wright G 5-9 155 02/05/1995 R Florida State/2018
HEAD COACH: Sandy Brondello (Australia)
ASSISTANT COACHES: Julie Hairgrove (Arizona), Todd Troxel (Doane College)
HEAD ATHLETIC TRAINER: Alicia Yamamoto (Indiana University)
STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH: Jonathan Mak (Illinois State University)
Following Friday's season opener, the Mercury will travel to Seattle to take on the Storm on Sunday, May 20 in the first regular season matchup between Taurasi and the Storm's Sue Bird since the two became the WNBA's all-time leaders in scoring and assists, respectively, last season. The X-Factor will get a chance to see the two take the court against one another in Phoenix just three days later when the Mercury host Seattle on Wednesday, May 23 at 7 p.m.
WNBA all-time leading scorer Diana Taurasi and 2017 WNBA scoring champion Brittney Griner return to Phoenix this summer to lead the Mercury in a quest for the franchise's WNBA-record tying fourth championship. Tickets for Fry's Food Stores Opening Night on Friday, May 18, and the rest of the Mercury's 2018 home games are on sale NOW and can be purchased by calling 602.252.WNBA or by visiting PhoenixMercury.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 17, 2018
- New York Liberty Announce 2018 Opening Night Roster - New York Liberty
- Las Vegas Makes Final Roster Decisions Prior to Start of Regular Season - Las Vegas Aces
- Washington Mystics Finalize Roster - Washington Mystics
- LA Sparks Announce Final Roster - Los Angeles Sparks
- Seattle Storm Unveils Roster for Opening Night Presented by Swedish - Seattle Storm
- Atlanta Dream Finalize 2018 Opening Day Roster - Atlanta Dream
- Phoenix Mercury Announces 2018 Opening Night Roster - Phoenix Mercury
- Seattle Storm Partners with Denali Advanced Integration to Introduce Special 'Birds Nest' Section of KeyArena - Seattle Storm
- Monumental Sports Network to Broadcast All Mystics Games - Washington Mystics
- WNBA Invites Fans to "Take a Seat, Take a Stand" for Women and Girls During 2018 Season - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.