Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to New Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed centerback Jack Elliott to a new contract. Taking effect immediately, the deal ensures that Elliott is under contract with Philadelphia through the 2021 season, with a club option for 2022.
"Jack Elliott is a great example of the value of hard work and making the most of your opportunities," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "This new contract is one that he has fully earned through his consistent and reliable play on the field. He is a tremendous passer, brings a unique blend of size and skill, and processes the game at a high level. We believe Jack has a bright future ahead of him and we are delighted to reward him with this new deal to keep him with the Union."
Elliott, Tanner and Union Head Coach Jim Curtin will be available to members of the media following today's Union training session at the Power Training Complex (2501 Seaport Drive, Chester PA 19013). Elliott and Tanner will be available fieldside following Union training (members of the media are encouraged to arrive by 11:00 a.m. ET), while Curtin holds his weekly press conference at 12:30 p.m. ET at Talen Energy Stadium's media room.
Those who are interested in joining the teleconference of Curtin's press conference can access the call by dialing 800-582-3014 and entering the code 17252609, followed by the pound sign (#) for access to the call. Upon entering the call, please mute your line for the duration, unless asking a question. A member of Philadelphia Union Communications will moderate.
Elliott, 23, has made 60 regular-season appearances (58 starts) since joining Philadelphia as a fourth round MLS SuperDraft pick (77th overall) from West Virginia University prior to the 2017 season. This season, he has played every minute of every match for the Union. Among all MLS defenders, he ranks in the top 15 in both clearances (51, 13th) and blocked shots (9, T-11th). Skilled with his feet, he also has completed the 10th-most passes among any league defender (565) and is tied for fourth among that group in passes into the final third (115).
In 2017, Elliott's first campaign, he was named a finalist for the MLS Rookie of the Year award after making 30 appearances (29 starts), tying for sixth among all league defenders in blocks (23) and tying for seventh among that group in clearances (150). He has four career MLS goals to his name, including a brace in a 2018 win at New England (August 11) and the opening goal in a victory over the Revolution this season (May 4).
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign defender Jack Elliott to a new contract on May 22, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 22, 2019
- MNUFC Depth on Display in 1-0 Loss to Hertha Berlin - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Fall to Real Betis 5-2 in a Friendly at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and Vancouver End in 2-2 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- 'Caps earn another road point in exciting match versus New York Red Bulls - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Named 'Sports Team of the Year' at 2019 Sports Business Awards - Atlanta United FC
- The Goal King: Chris Wondolowski Cements His Place in MLS History: Week 13 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Midfielder PrzemysÅ?aw Frankowski Called up to Poland National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Game on Saturday, June 1 at Stade Saputo Moved to 5pm - Club de Foot Montreal
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - MLS
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - Orlando City SC
- Mexican National Team Members and Award-Winning Singer Luis Coronel to Headline Fan Fest at Inaugural MexTour Live in Dallas on June 7 - FC Dallas
- Know Your Opponent | LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Sebas Mendez Called up to Ecuador's Copa America Squad - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U.S. 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster - LA Galaxy
- Chad Marshall Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eryk Williamson Called into Combined Preparation Camp with U.S. Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union advance to Eastern Conference Finals of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2022 Home Opener
- Glesnes scores extra time stoppage time goal; Union advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals
- Ground Broken on Rebuild Project at Capitolo Playground Fields
- Philadelphia Union Home Playoff Match Set for November 20, 2:30 p.m. Et