Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Goalkeeper Joe Bendik
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has reached an agreement on a new contract with free agent and MLS veteran goalkeeper Joe Bendik. The Union acquired Bendik from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for a natural 2020 MLS SuperDraft second-round selection in July 2019. After picking up his option ahead of what would become a historic 2020 campaign for the Union, the parties have come to an agreement for a one-year contract ahead of the 2021 season.
"We are excited to welcome back Joe for the 2021 season," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "He works extremely hard on the field, and off the field he takes the time to mentor and work with his younger teammates. He has more than eight years of professional experience in this league and his veteran presence has proven helpful not only to our other goalkeepers, but to the team success as a whole."
During the 2020 season, Bendik appeared twice, making one start, on the team's historic run to their first ever Supporters' Shield. Bendik has appeared in 178 regular season matches (174 starts) over his MLS career, which began in 2012 with Portland. The goalkeeper also made significant contributions with Toronto FC, Orlando City SC and Columbus Crew SC. He achieved a career-best seven clean sheets with Orlando in 2017, also making a single-season personal high of 118 saves that year.
Prior to MLS, Bendik started his professional career in Norway, playing two years for Sogndal. He played collegiately at Clemson University.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union re-signs goalkeeper Joe Bendik to a one-year contract on March 5, 2021.
Name: Joe Bendik
Born: April 25, 1989
Birthplace: Northport, NY
Hometown: Marietta, GA
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2021
- LAFC Statement on Revised Guidelines - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy President Chris Klein and Dignity Health Sports Park General Manager Katie Pandolfo on Fans Being Allowed at Outdoor Sporting Events Starting April 1 - LA Galaxy
- City Unveils 2021 Thick N Thin Home Kit Pres. by Orlando Health - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Issue Statement on Fans Being Allowed at Outdoor Sporting Events Starting April 1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Sign Under-20 USMNT Winger Cameron Harper - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Officially Kicks off Training Camp Monday - Los Angeles FC
- Minnesota United Announces Preseason Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- Toronto FC to Start MLS Season in Florida - Toronto FC
- New England Revolution Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Dan Lovitz Ready for "Different Mountain to Climb" in 2021 - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule and Roster - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Sign Forward Diego Rubio to Two-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Sign Homegrown Defender Sam Vines to Four-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Sign 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick Forward Edward Kizza - New England Revolution
- Major League Soccer Statement on Inter Miami CF Player Payment Investigation - MLS
- Pareja Flush with Forwards as Camp Begins - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Kacper Przybylko opens the Union's Champions League scoring with game winner
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Founders Brewing Co.
- Philadelphia Union Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Aurelien Collin
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Osmo