Philadelphia Union & Philadelphia Union Foundation Launch "FIGHT FOR SMALL BUSINESSÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign
CHESTER, PA (May 26, 2020) - Philadelphia Union and the Philadelphia Union Foundation today announced Fight for Small Business, the second phase of the "FIGHT FOR PHILLY" campaign, which will inject thousands of dollars of financial resources from the Union into Chester-based businesses working hard to remain open and accessible to the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Partnering with CityTeam of Chester, the Union will feed hundreds of people a day for three weeks using food and beverages procured from a collection of local, Chester eateries.
In working with Mayor Kirkland, Councilman William Morgan, and the City of Chester, the following businesses have been identified and will be providing meals over the next three weeks:
Cheryl's Southern Style
Mouth Watering Food for the Soul
Unos Pizzeria & Grill
Red Brick Café
Humdiggidy's (Market Place food court)
Aunt B's Country Kitchen (Market Place food court)
Big Var's Water Ice B-Roll Footage: *first delivery was made Monday, May 25 by Cheryl's to CityTeam of Chester.
"While our community is in a daily fight in the face of this pandemic, we have been touched by the togetherness and resilience we have seen from people across our region. We're proud to work with the City of Chester to do our part and give back to our neighborhood businesses," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union President. "Chester's small businesses and their hardworking owners are the backbone of this city. As a club deeply rooted in its community, we will continue to fight for one another."
"As COVID-19 continues to affect all of us, partnerships that look to immediately uplift our community is of the utmost importance," said Councilman William Morgan. "The Philadelphia Union continues to demonstrate its value as a community-based partner, and this administration is confident that this new initiative will yield some relief for our residents and small business owners alike."
First launched in late April, the "FIGHT FOR PHILLY" initiative has donated nearly 20,000 pieces of personal protective equipment to frontline workers at Philadelphia-area hospitals, fire departments, postal service, and animal shelters and thousands of meals to have gone to frontline workers and the food insecure communities in Chester, PA. The Union also hosted a blood drive at Subaru Park in partnership with the American Red Cross to collect donations.
In addition, the "FIGHT FOR PHILLY" t-shirt fundraiser have sold thousands of shirts which will support additional community-focused efforts in the coming weeks. For fans interested in getting involved in the relief effort, "FIGHT FOR PHILLY" t-shirts are available to purchase, and all net proceeds will go toward the platform's charitable efforts.
"FIGHT FOR PHILLY" also encompasses some of the Philadelphia Union and Philadelphia Union Foundation's prior and ongoing initiatives which includes a previously announced Game Day Employee Assistance Fund that supports part-time Subaru Park staff, partnering with Spectra to donate stadium food to a local food bank, and lighting Subaru Park blue as a part of the local "Philly Shines Blue" and national "Light It Blue" campaigns to show appreciation for healthcare workers.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 26, 2020
- Audi MLS Cup Playoff Week to Showcase Historic Matches - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 26, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC and Banc of California Restructure Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- This Week in Orlando City History: May 25th-31st - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Joins ALL IN Challenge - Philadelphia Union
- MEDIA REMINDER: FC Dallas Virtual Graduation Ceremony Tomorrow - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union & Philadelphia Union Foundation Launch "FIGHT FOR SMALL BUSINESSÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign - Philadelphia Union
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Alejandro Bedoya nets winner in team's first MLS Is Back match
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Announce FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast
- Philadelphia Union Kick Off July 9 in MLS is Back Tournament
- Kevin Durant Joins the Philadelphia Union as Investor and Community Partner
- Philadelphia Union Drawn into Group a of MLS Is Back Tournament