Phantoms Center Austin Cangelosi Named to Roster for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The United States Hockey League today announced the 40 players selected to compete in the 2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game presented by CCM, and for the second year in a row center Austin Cangelosi will represent the Youngstown Phantoms at showcase.
"Austin embodies everything we want our organization's players to be," head coach and general manager Anthony Noreen said. "It's also a great chance for him to showcase what he is as a player and why he deserves to be looked at by NHL scouts."
Cangelosi, 18, is in his second season in the USHL and is among the league's most dynamic offensive players. The 5-foot-7, 170-pound center leads the Phantoms with 27 points (10 goals, 17 assists) through 24 games this season and serves as one of the team's captains.
A native of Estero, Fla., Cangelosi racked up 29-30-59 in 54 games in 2011-12 and was named to the 2012 USHL All-Rookie Team. In addition to being selected to the USHL/NHL Top Prospects game for the second straight season, he has also twice been chosen to represent Team USA at the World Junior A Challenge. He is slated to attend Boston College next fall.
The 2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects game is set to take place Wednesday, Jan. 23 at L.C. Walker Arena in Muskegon, Mich. It is the second season for the event, which will showcase many of the top players in the USHL who are eligible for the 2013 NHL Draft.
The selection process was completed in cooperation with USHL General Managers, NHL scouts and team personnel, and NHL Central Scouting.
All 16 USHL Member Clubs have at least one player selected to participate in the event.
"The second USHL/NHL Top Prospects game promises to be an outstanding showcase of talent that USHL teams continue to develop for the next levels of hockey," said USHL president and commissioner Skip Prince. "With so many of our young stars on the NHL watch list, and with the full attention of the National Hockey League, it promises to be a great night of hockey in Muskegon, and something all USHL fans should be anxious to see."
The 40 players chosen will now be divided into two teams for the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, the makeup of which will be announced at a later date. [See following page for entire roster.]
The 2013 NHL Draft is scheduled to take place in June at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. - home of the NHL's New Jersey Devils. A total of 28 players who spent the 2011-12 season in the USHL were selected in the 2012 NHL Draft, including a record six players in the first round.
2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Roster
Austin Cangelosi - Youngstown Phantoms
Thomas Ebbing - Chicago Steel
Christian Heil - Chicago Steel
Luke Voltin - Des Moines Buccaneers
Peter Quenneville - Dubuque Fighting Saints
John Stevens - Dubuque Fighting Saints
Gabe Guertler - Fargo Force
Brendan Harms - Fargo Force
Alex Kile - Green Bay Gamblers
Luke Johnson - Lincoln Stars
Ross Olsson - Lincoln Stars
Vinni Lettieri - Lincoln Stars
Cam Darcy - Muskegon Lumberjacks
Frederik Tiffels - Muskegon Lumberjacks
Drew Melanson - Omaha Lancers
Jake Guentzel - Sioux City Musketeers
Conor McGlynn - Sioux City Musketeers
Jake Montgomery - Sioux City Musketeers
Jason Cotton - Tri-City Storm
Garrett Gamez - Tri-City Storm
Trevor Moore - Tri-City Storm
John Hayden - Team USA
Taylor Cammarata - Waterloo Black Hawks
Justin Kloos - Waterloo Black Hawks
Ian Brady - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
Michael Downing - Dubuque Fighting Saints
Jordan Gross - Green Bay Gamblers
Gustav Olofsson - Green Bay Gamblers
Rinat Valiev - Indiana Ice
Justin Woods - Lincoln Stars
Michael Brodzinski - Muskegon Lumberjacks
Ben Storm - Muskegon Lumberjacks
Tucker Poolman - Omaha Lancers
Blake Heinrich - Sioux City Musketeers
Ryan Ivey - Tri-City Storm
Ian McCoshen - Waterloo Black Hawks
Arthur Brey - Dubuque Fighting Saints
Charlie Lindgren - Sioux Falls Stampede
Eamon McAdam - Waterloo Black Hawks
Cal Petersen - Waterloo Black Hawks
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 2, 2013
- Phantoms Center Austin Cangelosi Named to Roster for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Youngstown Phantoms
- Three Gamblers Selected to the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- U.S. National Under-17 Team Upends Slovakia, 7-2, at 2013 World Under-17 Challenge - U.S. National Team
- Four Saints Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Four Storm Players Selected for USHL Prospects Game - Tri-City Storm
- Five Hawks on Prospect Game Roster - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede's Lindgren Named to USHL/NHL Prospects Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Roster Selected for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - USHL
- Stampede Acquire Swedish Defenseman Bjorkung - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Joe Cox Wins USHL Co-Forward of the Week - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Omaha Lancers News & Notes - Week 15 - Omaha Lancers
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Novak Named CCM USHL Forward of the Week - Green Bay Gamblers
- U.S. National Jr. Team Advances to Semifinals with 7-0 Win over Czech Republic - U.S. National Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.