Pettibone Back to Form in Fightins Loss
READING, Pa.---Making the first start of his major league rehab assignment, Jonathan Pettibone struck out four and surrendered three earned runs in five innings in the Reading Fightin Phils' 9-3 loss to the Binghamton Mets Thursday night in front of 6,778 fans at FirstEnergy Stadium.
The Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher went on the D.L. August 2nd with a right shoulder strain. In his start with the Fightins (52-70), he looked every bit like the pitcher who has won fans over at Citizen's Bank Park this year.
Pettibone struck out two Mets (77-47) in the opening inning while doling out a walk across 21 pitches. He allowed two runs in the second inning when Wilfredo Tovar knocked an RBI single to score Richard Lucas, who doubled in the at-bat before him. Alonzo Harris doubled in Tovar an long fly ball to center field before being tagged out at third on an amazing defensive relay from Zach Collier to Edgar Duran and finally to Maikel Franco.
He recovered nicely in the third and fourth innings, chucking two perfect innings in just 21 total pitches. In the fifth, Pettibone yielded two singles to lead off the inning with one of them bouncing off his ankle. He then retired the next three batters, but gave up one run that saw Binghamton tie the game.
A 2012 Reading alum, Pettibone lasted 67 pitches and tossed 46 strikes in his five innings. The right-handed pitcher was placed on a five inning limit during his rehab appearance.
Binghamton's three runs tallied off Pettibone equaled the run support put out by Reading in the first five innings. Zach Collier hit a solo homer in the first inning to help the Fightins jump out to an early lead. Maikel Franco followed in the next at-bat with a base hit and scored later in the inning when Binghamton third baseman Richard Lucas made a throwing error. Anthony Hewitt added a run in the fourth when he drove in Kelly Dugan on a run-scoring single.
Collier saw his batting average rise to .212 following his 2-for-4 night. In 13 games this month, the outfielder is hitting .370 (17-for-46) with eight runs scored and four extra base hits.
After Pettibone exited, the Reading bullpen was handed with the tie game. Juan Sosa held the Mets scoreless in the sixth, but got roughed up in the seventh when he allowed four singles and a double to let in five runs. His last run allowed came across home when Tyler Knigge gave up an RBI single to Tovar as Reading trailed 8-3 in the seventh.
The B-Mets added a run in the eighth inning when Darrell Ceciliani tripled home Daniel Muno.
Lefty Bobby Bramhall will start for Reading when they embark on a six-game road trip against Akron and Altoona. RHP Josh Tomlin will start for the Aeros on major league rehab from Cleveland. Tune into Oldies 1340 WRAW-AM or MiLB.TV for the game broadcast with Fightins play-by-play announcer Anthony Oppermann at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Thunder Win Streak Over, Sens Win 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Pettibone Back to Form in Fightins Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Bullpen Breakdown Opens Door for Squirrels in 9-6 Win over Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Jesus Takes the Wheel as Squirrels Stun Aeros Again, 9-6 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Pound Rock Cats in Finale 9-3 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rodriguez Roasts SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Offense Erupts Late in Rubber Match, 9-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Knocked Around in Front of 6,441, Lose 9-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Doyle seven scoreless, but Sea Dogs fall 3-0 in Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Take Series from Sea Dogs on Thursday - Altoona Curve
- Curve Groundskeeper Ben Young Named 2013 E.L. Diamond Pro Sports - Altoona Curve
- Altoona's Ben Young Named Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year - EL
- Outfield Prospects Mason Williams & Ben Gamel Promoted To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs vs. Curve - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Altoona Curve Game Information: August 15, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets vs. Fightin Phils - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Announce Second Annual Nutzy's Rotary Funn Run - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Just 7 Sea Dogs' Home Games Remain - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.