Peters Earns Shutout for Hitmen on Opening Night
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Hitmen opened the 2021 Western Hockey League regular season on Friday night with a 2-0 win over the Red Deer Rebels at Seven Chiefs Sportsplex.
It was a night of WHL firsts for a pair of sophomore Hitmen as goaltender Brayden Peters made 27 saves to record his first career shutout while defenceman Tyson Galloway netted his first career goal.
Sean Tschigerl also found the back of the net for the home side, starting the scoring on a breakaway in the opening frame. The Hitmen outshot the Rebels 31-27 with both teams blanked on the power play. Red Deer went 0-4 and Calgary 0-2.
The night marked the return to the ice for the Hitmen following a 364 day absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic and was played without fans under AHS protocols.
The two teams will finish their weekend home-and-home set tomorrow, Saturday, March 6 in Red Deer.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2021
- Hitmen Dropped in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 6 at Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Run Win Streak to Three - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Run into Hot Goalie in 2-0 Loss to Hitmen - Red Deer Rebels
- Peters Earns Shutout for Hitmen on Opening Night - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.