'Perfect Little Trio' Sapong, Mukhtar and Leal Lead Nashville SC Attack in JulyÃÂ
Call it the Summer ofÂ Sapong.Â
Or the Month of Mukhtar.Â
Or theÂ Run of Randall.Â
Whatever you want to call it, Nashville SC's attackingÂ trioÂ of CJÂ Sapong, Hany Mukhtar and Randall Leal haveÂ been lighting it up during the month of July, culminating in all three contributing to goals in Nashville's 3-0 win over FC Cincinnati on Saturday night.Â
In the club's five matches in July,Â the three attackers combined forÂ nine goals and seven assists.Â At least one of them scored or assisted on allÂ but one of Nashville's goals in that span.Â
On Saturday night,Â SapongÂ scored a pair, both assisted by Mukhtar. He also assisted on Leal's first-half goalÂ to doubleÂ Nashville's advantage.Â SapongÂ says theÂ winsomeÂ triadÂ know each other's tendencies and skill sets well.Â
"A perfect little trio that we have there,"Â SapongÂ said. "Having a couple games under our belt, there'sÂ definitely chemistry there.Â It just makes things a lot easier when you learn tendencies of your teammates. I always know Randall is going to be somewhere;Â he's always running, he's always trying to get forward. So it just adds a little bit to my game to be able to put him in positions to score. It definitely speaks volumes to the work us three have put in."
Mukhtar enteredÂ JulyÂ with three goals and one assist. He finishes the month with a season total of seven goals and four assists.Â His six-minute hat trick on July 17Â againstÂ Chicago Fire FC earned himÂ Major League SoccerÂ Player of the Week honors, and he followed that up with a pair of assists against FC Cincinnati on Saturday.Â
Head Coach Gary Smith says Mukhtar isÂ starting to showÂ theÂ innateÂ talent and output that may have been stifled byÂ the trials and tribulations ofÂ a pandemic-riddledÂ 2020, his first year playing outside of Europe.Â
"What you find with top-class players is that they adapt," Smith said. "They find a way to show their quality. And of course, there's the combination of relationships and understanding with the players around him: CJ's been a terrific physical foil for him, and Randall, who I think have benefitted from his style of play. But all-in-all, he's starting to round into the sort of form that we absolutely expected. He's a very talented and intelligent guy. We're talking about an individual that is veryÂ capable of either picking a lock and finding a passÂ orÂ scoring a goal."
Now, Nashville's frontline attack will look to take their show on the road with four of their six August matches coming away from home. They'll also look toÂ integrate another attacking force into the fold: new Designated PlayerÂ AkéÂ Loba,Â who has appeared as a second-half substitute in each of the club's last two matches.Â
Even after a memorable month,Â SapongÂ says he's far from finished.Â
"I really think it speaks volumes to the team and the personalities that we have,"Â SapongÂ said. "There's a chemistry that's flowing through us. You've been able to see the last couple games that guys are in spots after maybe not having as many minutes there, and really showing their worth and their value.Â So,Â it's a beautiful thing, and this is what we work for every day. I'm excited, but I still want to give more."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 26, 2021
- 'Perfect Little Trio' Sapong, Mukhtar and Leal Lead Nashville SC Attack in JulyÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 26, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Forward Ricardo Pepi Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 15 - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas Forward Ricardo Pepi Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 15 - MLS
- LAFC Teams up with Baskin-Robbins - Los Angeles FC
- Stade Saputo Permitted Capacity Increased Significantly - Club de Foot Montreal
- Acosta, Vines Help USMNT Past Jamaica, Advance to Concacaf Gold Cup Semifinal - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Falls 3-1 to Sporting Kansas City - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Suffers 1-0 Defeat to D.C. United on Sunday Night - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Sporting Earns Massive 3-1 Win over Seattle - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-1 Draw with Philadelphia Union - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Takes Three Points on the Road and Solidifies Second Place in Eastern Conference
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Continues Road Swing against Inter Miami CFÃÂ
- Nashville SC Remains Second in the Eastern ConferenceÃÂ
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns to Canada to Face Toronto FCÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Youth Academy Set to Begin Inaugural Season