Perez Stays Hot at the Plate
The SeaWolves fell behind early again on Saturday afternoon to the Altoona Curve and could not mount a comeback as they dropped their second straight game.
In the top of the first, Mel Rojas, Jr. led off with a single and advanced to second on an error. A sacrifice bunt moved Rojas, Jr. to third and he scored on a Matt Curry sacrifice fly for a 1-0 Curve lead.
Altoona added to its lead in the second against Erie starter Derek Hankins. Adalberto Santos singled, stole second and scored on a two-out Charlie Cutler double.
In the sixth, Erie errors allowed the Curve to advance its lead. Andrew Lambo led off and was hit by a Michael Morrison pitch. Santos followed and on a Brandon Douglas error on a ground ball, reached safely putting two on base. Alex Dickerson grounded a ball to second and on the Douglas throw to second, Hernan Perez muffed the exchange allowing all three runners to reach safely. Justin Howard singled home Lambo and Santos scored on a Gift Ngoepe sacrifice fly making it 4-0.
Erie got on the board in the sixth when Perez blasted a solo home run, his first, off of reliever Ethan Hollingsworth making it 4-1. Perez has collected three straight multi-hit games to start the season.
After falling behind 5-1, Erie scored runs in the eighth and ninth innings. In the eighth, Jamie Johnson led off with a double and scored on a Perez knock. In the ninth, Corey Jones doubled and scored on a Daniel Fields sacrifice fly making it 6-3. The 'Wolves would get no closer.
Hankins (0-1) allowed two runs, one earned on five hits with a walk and a strikeout in his season debut.
Top Pirates prospect Jameson Taillon shut out the 'Wolves for five innings, allowing four hits, earning the win.
The 'Wolves and Curve wrap up the series on Sunday afternoon at 1:35 p.m. RHP Warwick Soupold takes the mound for Erie against RHP Stolmy Pimentel.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 6, 2013
- Baysox Fall to Senators - Bowie Baysox
- Duvall Blasts Squirrels Past Rock Cats, 7-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Perez Stays Hot at the Plate - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Bash Aeros for Third Straight, 7-5 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Schimpf Slugs Homer in 10-3 Loss to Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Offense, Taillon Roll in 6-3 Curve Win - Altoona Curve
- Saturday's Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Postponed Saturday; RHP Graham Stoneburner Promoted to Triple A - Trenton Thunder
- Saturday's Sea Dogs Game Postponed - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: Binghamton Mets at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.