Pereira, Volpe Drive Gades to Victory
Everson Pereira hit a three-run homer and Anthony Volpe added a two-run double as the Hudson Valley Renegades beat the Brooklyn Cyclones, 7-6, on Tuesday night.
The Gades picked up the win in their first game back from a 12-game road trip to North Carolina where they finished 4-8 against Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
Matt Sauer (2-2) allowed four runs over six innings with nine strikeouts to earn the win. Sauer allowed a grand slam in the second inning to Luis Gonzalez but otherwise held Brooklyn off the scoreboard.
The Hudson Valley bats came alive in the fifth when Pereira launched his 10th home run to cut the deficit to 4-3. Carlos Narvaez tied the game in the sixth when he doubled down the left field line, scoring Jake Sanford.
Later in the sixth, Volpe doubled to drive in two and Austin Wells added an RBI double of his own.
Brooklyn made it close in the eighth when Ronny Mauricio hit his 19th home run to right. The two-run shot off Charlie Ruegger brought the game to 7-6.
Jose Peroza led off the top of the ninth with a ground ball to the left side that got under the glove of sure-handed James Nelson at third. Reliever Derek Craft, attempting to throw to first to keep the runner close, committed the second error of the inning and the tying run moved to second. Craft then settled in to record the final three outs and pick up his league-leading ninth save.
The Renegades have won two in a row but gained no ground on Greensboro in the High-A North playoff race, as the Grasshoppers beat Jersey Shore 21-4. The Renegades beat Greensboro 23-4 on Sunday. Hudson Valley (65-43) remains 4.5 games behind Greensboro, whose magic number sits at eight.
The Gades and Brooklyn (42-64) will play a single-admission doubleheader on Wednesday with the first pitch scheduled for 5:05 p.m.
Per the State of New York, the Renegades are now open at 100% capacity. Tickets continue to be a tremendous value starting as low as $6. Visit HVRenegades.com for ticket information and so much more.
Follow the Renegades on Social Media and listen to the "Renegades Weekly" Podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 8, 2021
- Entertaining Ballgame Ends in 10-7 Defeat - Asheville Tourists
- Yorke's Slam Pushes Drive to 6-2 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Hoppers Score Early, Top Claws 13-4 on Wednesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Crawdads Bested by Greenville 6-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Brooklyn Wins Game One of Doubleheader - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Hot Rods and Dash Rained out on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cyclones Are Going, Going, Gold for Pediatric Cancer - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 8) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hoppers Use 11-Run Sixth to Top BlueClaws 21-4 on Tuesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Aaron Shackelford Hits for Cycle in Bounce-Back Victory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Witherspoon's Four Hits Not Enough in Series Opening Walk-Off Loss on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pereira, Volpe Drive Gades to Victory - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hudson Valley Renegades Stories
- Renegades Release 2022 Home Game Times & Firework Shows
- Thank You, Fans
- Gades Lose Finale
- Gades Get Copa Night Win
- Hoppers Punch Playoff Ticket